Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know or had there windscreen reflector repaired. Been to several types of shops but no one has yet to say they can repair them.
Carl

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Hi Carl I think you better option is to go for a new or used one over ebay.
I see them pop up from time to time and they dont' seem very espensive.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

·
Registered
600SL
125 Posts
Carlos,

What's the tan material? Is it part of the windscreen or a cover for storage?

Nevermind, I went back and actually read your description...................funny how that helps answer questions.

Does it fit over the windscreen when it is in down and / or above the horizontal piece when the vertical mast is up?

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,100 Posts
Thats the cover it goes behind in the trunk, thats also a good place to put a amp, the screen and cover fit there perfectly, no wasted space

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
carltwo said:
Does anyone know or had there windscreen reflector repaired. Been to several types of shops but no one has yet to say they can repair them.
Carl
Much has been written in this Forum about this issue in the past. Do a SEARCH = windscreen.

Take a look at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2051389-post3.html

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
carltwo said:
Carlo,
Wondering that your windscreen reflector cover is tan. Did they have different colors to match the car's color or were all the windcovers "Tan".
Carl
Yes, the cover originaly matched the color of your trunk lining.
But I thought you were just looking to repair. There are several options posted for repair. Are you now looking to replace your windscreen? If so it should not matter what color the cover is. Do you not have your own trunk cover?

1) DIY using the Home Depot approach. $15-$25 at Re-screening my windscreen-R129 - ShopForum
2) Send it in for repair. $80.00 plus ship to Germany at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2369617-post10.html
3) Buy used or new on the Internet $200-$490 US plus ship at Windscreen SL R129 90- 99: Bekkers BMW & Mercedes Parts Note: This does not usually include a cover. Just the Windscreen.

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can a Windscreen reflector be repaired in USA

Hi Lynns,
Yes, I am still trying to find someone to repair the windscreen as I'm sure it would help others. I would like to see that home depot approach, however I always seek perfection and try to replace with orginal and to be correct as it was from Mercedes. My windscreen did come WITHOUT a cover and I would need that too. Thanks for answering my question about the color. I tried to locate the company in Germany that you mention but can't find any contact from that url address that was provided. Sending it to Germany and back is also another story. I'll eventually find the answer about repairing the windscreen with the help of others like you though. I guess I enjoy torching myself with the challange.
Thanks, Lynns
Carl

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
carltwo said:
I tried to locate the company in Germany that you mention but can't find any contact from that url address that was provided.
Carl,
It usually takes either of the following two people a couple of days to answer your questions. I have been in contact with both of them in the not to distant past. They were the ones that quoted me $80.00 plus ship.

Maria Victoria <[email protected]>
Gunter Holzapfel <[email protected]>

at

Oris Fahrzeugteile
Hans Riehle GmbH
Im Bornrain 2
71696 Möglingen, Germany

1 - 11 of 11 Posts