Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok when i roll my windows down, the black section on the bottom ( oh yea 1987 mercedes benz 300e is the car im talking about ) where the windows goes in and holds onto it, and then i roll the window back up, it leaves a dirty line across the glass. very annoying as i like to drive with the windows down instead of wasting gas turning on the a/c. and its annoying to have a nice clean car except for that. anyways, what can i do so that it wont' leave that mark anymore. have a good day

·
Registered
90 420SEL
44 Posts
You might try to clean wiper that seals to window glass at top of door. With window down wash it,and then treat rubber with a silicone type product. Should do this with all rubber exposed to the elements periodically. U may also treat glass with something like rain-x. Might help.

·
Registered
2000 E320 Wagon
14 Posts
I don't remember what the speed is, but at some point the loss of aerodynamic effiency by having windows down negates the energy savings from not running your A/C.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well about 80% of the time im on the streets... so yea.. when on the freway i roll up windows cuz i hate that sound.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
tunnonator - 3/24/2005 7:01 AM

I don't remember what the speed is, but at some point the loss of aerodynamic effiency by having windows down negates the energy savings from not running your A/C.
40mph.

Lnkprksoldier, yes a good cleaning would help. I have the same experience with my older 300D (1983). But I'm too lazy to do it yet [:D] so I just drive with windows up but with EC mode (outside air)... you get best of both windows up and cool air but no A/C (no refrigerant)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
90 420SEL
44 Posts
I'd just use some warm soapy water. Whatever you use to wash your car with.A small brush might prove helpful but a rag should work. After it's clean,rinse,and dry, treat the rubber to keep it soft and protect it from UV. From reading other posts you shouldn't use any products with silicone in them on rubber.Guess DAD was wrong.I'll have to do a little shopping myself.Anyways I've done this on previous cars to keep from getting scratches and smears on the glass,as we have lots of mud and gravel roads here.Hope it does the trick.

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
I clean my windows with bon ami ( scouring podwer ) in and out ,this removes the wax & evoporated solvents from the upolstery , once a year. Great help for night driving . My door window seal / scraper misses the front half by the mirror, if I lower it to clean it in the AM.

Some of the automotive glass cleaners work well - Invisible glass - armor all glass cleaner .

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
invisible glass for the area inside where the window goes/soft rubber inside? i have invisible glass i like it. it has a lot for just a little price. ive used it many times and it still feels like its full

1 - 10 of 10 Posts