Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989 w124 260 E
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side window on my '89 260e makes a loud clunking noise as soon as it gets to the top. It makes no noise on the way up but as soon as it is almost all the way up it makes this noise. It stops with about half of a centimeter left to go up. Does anyone know what the problem is?

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3; 1992 300E-3.0, 1998 Saab 9000T
107 Posts
Probably one of the white plastic pieces that move in the regulator guides. You really need to pull off the panel and see which one is bad. These guides are available from your dealer or a good Mercedes shop should have them in stock. If you find out which one it is, someone here should be able to help with a part number.

If you don't do the work yourself, and take it to a shop, they will probably want to put in a new regulator for $$$. On mine, I just drilled out the old rivet and pressed the new one in. Not really that hard.

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
I agree go to a bone yard and see how the door panel comes off. Do it yourself. Plus you can get all the spare parts you need out there for cheap. It could be a broken stud somewhere or the gearbox also. Again its cheap if you go used and DIY but dealer will charge you an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
1980 300SD
209 Posts
Open it up and see what's going on.

To remove the panel remove the philips screw by the door latch, remove the plastic trim. I don't think you need to touch the cover behind the side mirror. It can break if you try to remove it. Then remove the plastic trim around the door handle by prying towards you. Remove the door lock plunger by twisting it off. Remove the 10mm bolt at the top of the door handle behind the trim you just removed, it's under some foam padding. Then pry the door skin around the plastic door handle housing so you can lift the entire door skin up and off. Once off remove the courtesy light so you can unplug it. Put the door skin in your trunk or on some cardboard because pavement will mark it up. When you put it back on make sure the window is down so you can get the top edge into the clips properly. Put the lock plunger back on first because the metal part is hard to get through the hole.

Once apart put the window up and down to see where the noise is coming from. Maybe it just needs some grease? Don't get grease on the window! Mine had some noise from some sound deadening material warping and rubbing on the window as it went up and down. I just cut it the offending piece off.

have fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts