Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned a neet trick with the interaction of the power windows and the drop top. Sorry if anyone already knows about this. I just found out and wanted to share.

Just pulling back on the roof switch in the center console and holding it will lower the roof, but in each case the windows go down first. If you want to just lower both windows at the same time with the roof up or already down, you can use the roof switch instead of the window switches.

Click the roof switch back to the roof down position and let it go. Now pull it back again and hold it back. Both side windows will drop as you hold the button and the top will stay up. You can do this while the top is down already and the windows are up. You know how the windows will start to come up after holding the roof switch when you drop the top. I used to use the window switches and roll them back down but not anymore.

This will alos work for bring both of the windows up at the same time. Rock the roof switch forward one click, let to go, then push it forward and hold it. Both windows will go up at the same time as long as you hold the switch. [:)]

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Knew about this, but don't do it... apparently the rear windows act as a support for the roof, and lowering these windows may put un-due pressure on some of the joints. Someone else on the forum may be able to explain better.
Does look cool however with all the windows dropped.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
BlueBenz - 3/23/2005 11:46 AM

Knew about this, but don't do it... apparently the rear windows act as a support for the roof, and lowering these windows may put un-due pressure on some of the joints. Someone else on the forum may be able to explain better.
Does look cool however with all the windows dropped.
Hmmm...I can't imagine that those windows are supporting anything since the top locks into place before they rise, but it will be interesting to see if anyone else has knowledge about this.

I think that the best window trick of all would be if someone could come up with a way to make the rear side windows rise again after the top is down. That would really reduce wind noise, if we could raise all 4 windows.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
This is a feature that is really nice. It doesnt roll down the small windows on the slk it rolls the 2 main windows down and this will not cause any stress on your car. They are windows!

You have to click it fairly fast. one click then realease then click and hold. goes both ways for down and up. if you wanna roll them up you have to push the button forward. the only thing this does is roll your windows down at the same time.

If I am wrong or you have some awesome feature I dont let me know.

--Brian

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
Or, maybe I've missed your point and we actually can raise all 4 windows with the top down by this procedure?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
There is insufficient support for the small rear windows ......

If you got them to go up, they would tend fall out of their track. When the roof is up they have the track in the roof to lock into.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I do this on mine, only the large windows go up or down. The small windows are not affected.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
It's only the door windows. From the Manual:

"Slide hardtop switch back (1) and hold:
If the hardtop switch is held or is released and slid back again within approximately 30 seconds, the door windows will close.

However, the door windows can also be closed /opened
later on. Slide hardtop switch twice forward/backward
and hold.

The rear quarter windows cannot be raised with the
hardtop lowered."

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts
16 Falcon
I'm afraid there ain't no "used to be," it is kind of stuck in our blood now. I read the SLK manual cover to cover while I was still looking for the right car. I still have not figured out how to get to the jack under the CD player though, if I ever have a flat I'm in trouble. Went to Tyndall AFB for altitude refresher over the last two days. It is good for the government to pay for a trip to Panama City during Spring Break. I was driving down Hwy 92 with the top down on Wed night. One young lady yelled from the back of a truck, "Nice car Daddy, Wanta hook up?" I left the beach road after that and took the bypass back to Tyndall. I'm getting old! Back to ATL this morning.
FlySmith

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
332 Posts
For the double click window up/down button to work the key has to be turned to the ON position, which is Position 2 in the key turn sequence - nobody mentioned this yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts