Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Merc Vito 110cdi
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Im wanting tints all around my van and wondered if it is a simple diy job with the right Film and tools.

Has anyone attempted and failed or was it success?

Also how far can you go on the fronts(legalities)
Cheers Neil:newbie:

·
Registered
W639
327 Posts
I got my rear screen limo tinted (black) professionally for £50. There's no way I'd try to DIY it, it looked like a skilled job and film was about £20. One mistake and you're up to the cost of a proper job.

Sides - check the law, only a really subtle tint or else you'll get pulled.

·
Registered
108cdi
37 Posts
man i have tryed to do tints before twice and messed it up both time... So im going to get my back tinted by someone who can do it...

·
Registered
Vito 113
347 Posts
gtworld said:
Hi all
Im wanting tints all around my van and wondered if it is a simple diy job with the right Film and tools.

Has anyone attempted and failed or was it success?

Also how far can you go on the fronts(legalities)
Cheers Neil:newbie:
Hi Neil,

I have a 50% tint on all the windows exept the driver and passenger side windows which are 5% and I haven't had any problems with the police. I wouldn't attempt the tinting yourself, it's a job for the pros.

Benz Bling

·
Registered
Vito 112 CDi 2003
165 Posts
legal limit

Hi there, the legal limits for window tints can be found on the VOSA website. They are the oracal on this kind of thing. Bit of a long link below, but page 8 puts it in black and white.

70 per cent VLT (visual light transmission) on the front windows.

But watch out, your van might alread have a slight factory tint on it already.

Hope this helps.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/MoT - Issue 23 - April 2004 .pdf#xml=http://www.vosa.gov.uk/SCRIPTS/texis.exe/webinator/search/xml.txt?query=window+tints+&pr=CORP&order=r&cq=&id=4643fc1c6

·
Registered
Merc Vito 110cdi
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Guys
I guess it looks like a wallet job......Thought so

Yes it does have slight tints so looks like i will have to watch that to keep the bobbies off me back
Neil

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
I don't think the side windows are too much trouble, the rear one's a bast*rd as it has curvature in both directions. I got mine done at national windscreens Snowdown Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS2 1DY 01642 230916. £180 to do the sides and back (both barn doors). They also put in a sunroof for me for £160. I have limo tint in the sides and back. I had the tinting on the front removed from the prev. owner though (dog had scratched it).

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,393 Posts
any colour / strength of tint is ok behind the drivers seat - tinting is illegal on frot side windows and screen - mirror finish is now illegal on ANY window (as is chromed bodywork - its a safety thing (reflected dazzle))

side windows are a piece of cake, tailgate is a swine - get it done by a pro for about £45

·
Registered
Merc Vito 110cdi
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its booked in to have the lot done at a cost of £250:eek:

Still it should look the nads

Ive had a few probs with the odd company refusing to touch the front due to legalities but the guys im using reckon the tint there will use up front will pass the light meter.
We will see:confused:
Neil GT

·
Registered
Merc Vito 110cdi
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh nearly forgot

ADAM how does the sunroof look?

Is it worth it

Neil GT

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
Looks okay... the plastic surround does not fit flush since the sunroof's meant to be fitted in a car roof but since it butts up against the head lining in the cab, it's fine. It's nice to have some ventilation in the van for once.

:)

Adam.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not sure if this will help anyone but....

Got my rear window and two front windows tinted on the Vito today, Custo-tints in Leicester did a superb job and at a good price. One man on his own, nice bloke and very helpful.

Limo's on the rear window and very very light on the front two.

Recommended for anyone in the midlands area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts