Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about tinting my SLK windows. I asked the dealer about this and was told not to because:

1. There are sensors in the door that will get "messed up".

2. The glass is "special".

This seems odd to me, (I'm being kind). The only application I can think of that would use sensors that could be affected by tinting would be a sensor that controls the automatic down and up of the windows when the doors are opened or the top is opened. Does anyone have anu thoughts on this? Have any of you gotten window tinting? If so were there any issues? I'd also like to see pictures of a black SLK with tinted windows if anyone has this.

PS. My name is Firemist. I ordered Firemist back in October but changed to black with tan interior after seeing a black SLK 55.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
firemist350 - 3/17/2005 4:27 PM

I am thinking about tinting my SLK windows. I asked the dealer about this and was told not to because:

1. There are sensors in the door that will get "messed up".

2. The glass is "special".

This seems odd to me, (I'm being kind). The only application I can think of that would use sensors that could be affected by tinting would be a sensor that controls the automatic down and up of the windows when the doors are opened or the top is opened. Does anyone have anu thoughts on this? Have any of you gotten window tinting? If so were there any issues? I'd also like to see pictures of a black SLK with tinted windows if anyone has this.

PS. My name is Firemist. I ordered Firemist back in October but changed to black with tan interior after seeing a black SLK 55.
It is not the sensors in the doors but rollers that are not covered and thus can scratch the tint. Most companies who install window tinting on Mercedes are aware of this and will cover the rollers with felt to prevent this happening. If they don't know, tell them.

There have been several previous posts regarding window tint.At the top of the page do a "search" in the R171 SLK forum for "tint".

Huper Optic is supposed to be the best and recommended by Mercedes. It is a ceramic and not a metallic film.

Finally, please post your location (other than USA) as sometimes answers to questions may be location specific.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts