Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the car of my dreams, an '81 280CE with blue leather interior, the car is in excellent condition. I live in Texas where it's hot as balls, so tint is a necessity and I want the pristine interior to stay that way. Also, it wouldn't have even occurred to me except my husband was driving the car and I was driving our other car behind him and the windows were so clear I could make out his facial hair. There is a SLIGHT blue-tint which I'm assuming is factory.

So, my question is...what tint looks good on these cars? I don't want to go too dark and regret it. I just want privacy in my dang 'ol Benz.

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,640 Posts
Get ceramic tint if you do but expect to pay double, but totally worth it. Cuts interior temperatures significantly. Go with 35% to be legal and not lose night time ability to see backing up.

·
Registered
1984 230CE
26 Posts
That's a beautiful coupe! I'm planning on tinting the windows in mine, primarily for heat rejection, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. One tint shop I spoke with recommended CTX certamic film for maximium heat rejection. I would look for a reputable tint shop in your area, check Yelp or ask around and get some advice from the shop. The visibility out of these cars is great, but it's a bit of a greenhouse effect.

·
Registered
1983 300CD
65 Posts
EXACTLY what Nutz 4 Benz said, Ceramic all the way. Sitting inside of the car you can put your hand up to the window in the hot sun and it's like the sun is hitting a wall. It's a dramatic difference over regular tint. It always sounded like another gimmick until a tint shop showed me. I was sold. It's especially worth it for cars that don't have top notch a/c systems. This is all 35%. The quarter windows just look darker there.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,351 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a beautiful coupe! I'm planning on tinting the windows in mine, primarily for heat rejection, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. One tint shop I spoke with recommended CTX certamic film for maximium heat rejection. I would look for a reputable tint shop in your area, check Yelp or ask around and get some advice from the shop. The visibility out of these cars is great, but it's a bit of a greenhouse effect.
Thank you, we are almost coupe twins! I'll start researching. It's crazy how many people in large cities won't work on our cars.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EXACTLY what Nutz 4 Benz said, Ceramic all the way. Sitting inside of the car you can put your hand up to the window in the hot sun and it's like the sun is hitting a wall. It's a dramatic difference over regular tint. It always sounded like another gimmick until a tint shop showed me. I was sold. It's especially worth it for cars that don't have top notch a/c systems. This is all 35%. The quarter windows just look darker there.

View attachment 2610692
Beautiful coupe! Looks killer with the tint and hubcaps. Thank you for the photo, that helps a lot to visualize. And, definitely going ceramic, these ACs are the equivalent to someone eating a popsicle and blowing on you.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1983 300CD
65 Posts
The only thing I dreaded was paying for ceramic at the counter but the shop telling the tinter that it's regular tint. It would likely be very easy to do. I found a very small family owned shop that ended up letting me sit in the bay. I didn't think that would happen so I first asked what brand they are using and to show me the box(as if I knew anything about it, LOL). You can at least get them to show you the difference between ceramic and regular so they know that for sure this particular customer can tell the difference bc they just showed you. Oh, also once they get started see if they'll thrown in an "eyebrow". I'd even pay for it. Most all windshields for decades have one already. There is even an arrow in the glass showing the limit for tint. Since it's up in the visor eyeline once it's been on a while you forget about it. You can always remove it.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
1,403 Posts
What kind of price differential are we talking about? I had my coupe tinted with fairly high-end 3M film but I don't believe that it was ceramic. I'm certainly not about to remove it and retint, but I'd like to know for my next car. I'm in Virginia and I put the darkest legal tint on the rear three AND the doors, which apparently are now illegal.

For some reason, VA requires lighter tint on the doors. But when I drive around I see a staggering array of nearly blacked-out windows on brand new cars from dealers as well as cars out of state. I think (hope) that this is a statute that is universally ignored by the authorities.

I think I paid around 250-300 for my tint 3 or 4 years ago.

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,640 Posts
It is. The comparison they showed me before I got mine done was display with 2 pieces of glass, one with regular tint, the other with ceramic tint. They held a 100watt light bulb behind the regular tint and heat from bulb went right through. Same done with same bulb behind ceramic tint and virtually no heat was felt through. I was sold! It’s nice not roasting the butt on seats while wearing shorts and sweating to death before AC does its thing.

Also notice after all these years, tint hasn’t turned that funky purple like regular tint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts