Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '76 450SL, I've noticed that the assist spring on the drivers door has the outer end fitted into a post with a slot in it. There doesn't seem to be anything that actually holds the spring in the slot.

This is different than the passenger door, which has the spring outer end held by a bent 'tab' that is part of the door regulator and the end of the spring is firmly held in place. I am assuming that one of the regulators has been replaced.

The problem I've got is that the drivers side spring keeps popping out of the slot in the end of the post. Each time the window moves up or down, the spring moves a little further out of the slot, until it is free. The window seems to work ok even when the spring is detached, but the perfectionist in me wants to have it permanently connected before I fit the interior door cards.

Has anyone else had or seen this issue, and know a way to fix it?

-Steve

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a look here Fixer, this might be the remedy? window adjustment r107 380 sl
Thanks - that gives me some more ideas. I had been wondering whether I could drill a hole through the slotted post and the spring, and put a pin through there. I'm also puzzled why it keeps coming out anyway - I don't think my post isn't 'spreading' like the one in the photos, but I'll check tonight in case that has started....

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,129 Posts
I know what you mean - I've the door panels off in my SL and both springs are (surprisingly) intact.

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've realized the problem is that the moment the spring mount 'rivet' becomes the slightest bit loose, then there's a slight 'tilt' to it, and the spring will gradually walk its way out of the slot.

As others have pointed out, the spring isn't really needed - it just seems to make the window start 'up' a little smoother, but I decided to use the bolt method, using the extra hole just below the original spring mount. Two nuts, a washer (to stop the spring slipping off), followed by another nut (and some thread lock) and the spring is back in action...

2020-07-30 21.10.31.jpg

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Good stuff, great when everything works out. I'm still in the process of adjusting both side windows, I'm almost there but not quite yet.. PIA 😑

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stuff, great when everything works out. I'm still in the process of adjusting both side windows, I'm almost there but not quite yet.. PIA 😑
Yes - I've not fitted the roof yet, so I do not plan to put the door cards on until that is done - I'm sure I'll be spending some time adjusting the windows to fit, though they do seem very good against the A-pillar seals. I think the door cards will be the last thing I fit (do plan to install plastic sheeting as well to keep them dry).

-Steve

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
You might get lucky so - both of my windows are now sealed correctly against pillar b and the top of the soft top, however I've a 1-2mm gap against A pillar that's hard to get rid off. It could be the seals, it could be the doors, or maybe it's the window position - I'm still scratching my head 😉

1 - 8 of 8 Posts