Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before getting the door apart - can someone please tell me what size (diameter and length) the rivets are? I think 3/16 is the diameter, but can't find the length spec anywhere.

Thanks for the help - doing the job Saturday.

Brian - Yakima, WA
2000 E320

·
Registered
2006 W220 S430 and 2010 W204 C300 Sport
227 Posts
When I ordered my regulator, I also got the factory rivets for a couple of bucks. The factory rivets are steel, not aluminum. I could not pull the pin through the rivet with my manual rivet gun. I ended up using some 3/16" rivets with a 1/2" head that I had for another project. They were also good for 1/2" depth. From memory, 1/4" depth would work also. If you a pneumatic rivet gun, this would help with the steel rivets. I got one from Harbor Freight and it pulls in rivets really tight and clean.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellows,

I really appreciate the responses. Tried a couple of days ago on another board and haven't gotten one yet.

When I bought the Sears heavy-duty riveter, I also purchased two packs of aluminum rivets - 1/4" and 3/8" Seemed like it would be one of those, but I was really wanting to make sure before I got the door dismantled. And I'm pleased to be reassured that the softer aluminum rivets will probably work just fine.

I'm expecting the job to go smoothly tomorrow.

Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I did the job yesterday. I found that a previous repair entailed screwing a short length of 2X4 up inside there to hold the window up. I sure hope I don't find anymore cheap-shot repairs on this beautiful car like that one. I'm suprised that I didn't find the non-functioning window from the start. All's well now.

There are 4 rivets, not 3 as I have found in some discussions. I used 3/16 X 1/4 inch aluminum rivets and am completely confident that they will hold the regulator securely. I had a gorilla on hand to do the riveting, but didn't really need his extra strength.

Now on to the next question (in another thread).

Thanks to all.

Brian - Yakima, WA

·
Registered
'00 ML430, '97 E320
165 Posts
When I replaced a regulator, I used the steel rivets from my MB parts source. Used a heavy duty Craftsmen rivet gun and it was all I could do to pull those steel rivets. I am guess the aluminum ones are much much easier.

As for holding up the window, I used a plastic wedge between the glass and inside frame (worked well). The dealer can sell you two sizes which I think are referred to large and small. Here are the part numbers and prices I paid. They have come in handy many times.

900-589-01-67-00 Wedge $8.00
115-589-03-59-00 Wedge $11.00

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JG,

The aluminum rivets are no doubt easier to install. And, I used two pieces of wide masking tape - taped to both sides of the window glass across the top of the window frame to hold the window up when I was replacing the regulator.

The wood block I was mentioning was someone's cheapskate fix to hold the window up without having to actually replace the regulator and was done sometime before I bought the car (about a month ago).

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
2006 W220 S430 and 2010 W204 C300 Sport
227 Posts
I remember someone on this board got tired of the rear window regulators going out and he did just as you found... used pieces of wood to permanently hold up the rear windows ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts