Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,624 Posts
They are NLA. If you can't find a complete block in a junk yard I'd try and make one (easier said than done ! ). It needs to be U shaped to stop it sliding out. Good luck .

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
502 Posts
Here's a pic. (The white one in the other pic is in my car.) I imagine the little nobble just helps it stay in place but the slot in the window block should help also.
Do you have calipers? Could you make accurate measurements of the part, enough that I could model it?

Andy

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
Do you have calipers? Could you make accurate measurements of the part, enough that I could model it?

Andy
Yes, I'll get to it after my grandson's birthday party. It s/be easy for a 3D printer. :)

Edit: Actually I'll check the longer block too- I think they might be the same size nylon inserts.
BTW I notice that not all blocks seem to have the little adjusting screw but they are easy to cut a thread for. Not really sure they are necessary though- it's not meant to be tight.

·
Registered
1973 450 sl
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I'll get to it after my grandson's birthday party. It s/be easy for a 3D printer. :)

Edit: Actually I'll check the longer block too- I think the
y might be the same size nylon inserts.
BTW I notice that not all blocks seem to have the little adjusting screw but they are easy to cut a thread for. Not really sure they are necessary though- it's not meant to be tight.
I made some of these before I retired using a milling machine and small engine lathe. I can mail a sample as shown if you send an address>

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Also available in the US for $22 and up. A 3D printed part might still be interesting as a lower cost option. Andy

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,433 Posts
Also available in the US for $22 and up. A 3D printed part might still be interesting as a lower cost option. Andy
Andy,
How do you actually make a model for 3D printing? Do you need a CAD program like say, Autocad, and then have to learn how to use it? I have tried Autocad in past, just for 2D drawings. But too complex and too much effort for me! Some parts have quite complex shapes, so perhaps not so easy to model? I was thinking about those visor clips. It would be neat to just churn them out as needed.

Maybe you have a link to a site where I could see if it is something an 80 yr old could learn :)

I should also ask my daughter - she is an architect and uses 3D CAD all the time. She is always too busy for my stuff! I think she told me that one Christmas, she gave keychain size 3D models of the houses she had designed to her clients.

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
Andy,
How do you actually make a model for 3D printing? Do you need a CAD program like say, Autocad, and then have to learn how to use it? I have tried Autocad in past, just for 2D drawings. But too complex and too much effort for me! Some parts have quite complex shapes, so perhaps not so easy to model? I was thinking about those visor clips. It would be neat to just churn them out as needed.

Maybe you have a link to a site where I could see if it is something an 80 yr old could learn :)

I should also ask my daughter - she is an architect and uses 3D CAD all the time. She is always too busy for my stuff! I think she told me that one Christmas, she gave keychain size 3D models of the houses she had designed to her clients.
Wouldn't it be easier to lean harder on your daughter Graham ?:D They're supposed to love their dads.

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 2000 Kawasaki W650
1,048 Posts
Good timing on this post. I’m just getting to that part on my door innards to fix the same exact problem. I've already fixed the central lock mechanism and gave all the latch and lock parts a good cleaning and lubricating.

I don't know if my window motor is noisy because of the missing slider part on the aft part of the window causing it to strain but I have a junkyard motor on hand all ready to go in if necessary.

One thing I found was the inner door latch assembly was cracked, so I fixed it with some JB Weld and I also stuck a hunk of heavy rubber foam behind the assembly where it had cracked, so that the leveraged force of the handle is absorbed and less likely to break it. It may not look pretty, but it works. You may wish to add this as a preventative measure, it's cast steel that's not particularly strong.

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts

I don't know if my window motor is noisy because of the missing slider part on the aft part of the window causing it to strain but I have a junkyard motor on hand all ready to go in if necessary.

View attachment 2639656
The slider shouldn't provide any resistance. Without the block there s/be no resistance at all unless the rails are full of crud.

The motor does make a mild groaning sound- mine aren't silent like my other cars.. However the window mechanism need to be clean and lubricated.

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 2000 Kawasaki W650
1,048 Posts
The slider shouldn't provide any resistance. Without the block there s/be no resistance at all unless the rails are full of crud.
I was thinking that without the aft slider bushing that the window is crooked when being pushed up, so that the glass isn’t square inside the two channels.. I’ve only just discovered that the slider was a problem and I want to see if fixing that puts less strain on the motor before I replace what is probably a good motor.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've already done the visor clips - they were a pain because of the compound angles. The files can be downloaded from 107resources.org.

Yes, you need some kind of CAD software. There is a range of types and prices, from free to online and desktop to cloud-based.

Fusion 360 seems to be popular and is free for personal use, but Autodesk could pull the plug at any time: Download Fusion 360 | Free Trial | Autodesk

I've tried FreeCAD in the past and found it to be full of bugs but I know of someone who is perfectly happy with it. http://www.freecad.com

It's possible to use something like Blender, but I don't recommend it because it intended for creating organic objects not mechanical objects.

The gold standard is SolidWorks

I use Alibre Design, which is a parametric mechanical CAD package. Parametric means I can go back and change the dimension of an aspect of the part without having to recreate it again from scratch.

Andy

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am going to need one of these because I am tiring of my driver's door rattle. If anyone has a broken but complete one they can send me I would pay for the postage. Then I can model it and make the file available.

Andy

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
Hey Andy,:) do you still want the exact dimensions of the nylon insert or a complete block ?. Seems like a lot of trouble when you can buy the whole thing for $20 or have I misunderstood? ( wouldn't be the first time)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts