Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Unimog U1700L (435 series)
359 Posts
Thanks Chas. They were a tight fit to pull out, so its going to be the same to push them down. I'll certainly give it a go. I suppose if they don't push down dry, I could try to lubricate the guide and try that.

For the U1700 , out of the literally hundreds of profiles and suppliers out there of floc felt Bailey Channel, does anyone know any generic suppliers of the size used. It measures 10mm at the base about 12mm high and 15mm wide at the wing tips.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,328 Posts
I bought genuine MB replacement - having learned my lesson with cheap generic rubber parts. Was not that expensive from AV. I would definitely recommend using a dry lube such as graphite or ptfe to push it home.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi Expeditionimports. I'm enquiring about old style VW rubbers at the moment. The Unimog channel is ~15mm deep by ~12mm wide. The rubber that came out of it is smaller than that (about 10 to 11mm wide by about 12 to 14mm high). Glass 5mm.

I looked at the B-D link for window felt rubbers. Any idea which one might best fit?

Number 486 seems the closest. Just found they won't ship to Australia !!!

·
Registered
Unimogs
864 Posts
I wish I could say that we have found an Exact, Cheap, MB Replacement. The fact that we are selling the factory seals, should speak for itself. I have not come across any profiles that are close enough for us to start selling them as a direct replacement at this time. It would certainly be in our best interests, but at this point not to be.

I do have 2-3 conversations a year with customers who have found/modified alternatives, but there always seems to be a "settling" theme, versus a satisfied theme.

You are in uncharted territory. If you do find a great solution, please let us all know..........

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hello, Today I tried installing the new felt strip. I could get it down a maximum of 50mm. No way its going to be able to be pushed down, it grips the runner channel tight. I'm wondering what the trick is? I've heard about soapy water, but I'm sure thats not going to do it. Maybe I should try spray teflon.

·
Registered
359 Posts
UPDATE: I got them in with some perseverance. I used silicon spray. It was still only possible to get it about 200mm down the channel, but that was enough to grab hold of the end from inside the door with multigrips and inch it down by winding the window up and down. All done.
After much searching, I used a local generic product at A$11.16 / m from a chain of stores here in Australia called Clark Rubber (code 38964 Bailey Channel Hold/TOR). So all up it cost me A$58. I'm ok with that as the typical price for felt rubber is normally about A$11 or less. It fits fine and windows work well. Only spot I am not quite happy about, is the sharp radius corner where it tends to close up on itself. Maybe over time it will open up.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts