Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Sweet 500 SL
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phil Here. I was browsing through another MB forum last night and I stumbled across a topic about a electrical gadget That could be made to have the windows on our older 500 SLs drop a little like the newer year models do.

My doors close OK. with the hard top on but I have a problem hitting the seals when my rag top is in use. Right now I have to manually lower my windows and tell my passenger not to shut her door until I put the window down. I'm always worried that someone will rip off my interior plastic door Handel by pulling it to hard! It would sure be a great modification for our cars.

The topic that I was reading was very vague, The designer or inventor of this electrical gadget states that he might go commercial with the product and that's OK. with me, I would buy one if it was available.

Now back to this great forum, When ever I preform a special modification to my SL, I post pictures, plans and diagrams of the mod. I try to help with questions from the members. I hope I have been some help in the past?

If anybody out there has ideas or knowledge on this subject I would really appreciate some help,

If this window gadget is available I want to know where to purchase one, If there are plans for one I would like to build it a have my MB guy install it.

Thanks in advance.

1992 Sweet 500 SL Phil Justice

·
Registered
1992 SL300-24, 1998 BMW 750iL
701 Posts
If he does, sign me up for one, ill ask my friends if they would be interested for theirs

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
I hate that window drop feature on my car so I already taught myself a good habit.
Before shutting off the engine, I lower the window a bit so when opening the door to exit, no annoying "click, zeeeet" sound. When I open the door later to get in, I won't hear that annoying "click, zeeeet".
But if you want window drop feature, it should not be too hard to implement. A one-pulse timer to a relay wired to the window switch will do the trick. Be forewarned, when you have it, the "click, zeeeet" will be annoying.

·
Registered
1992 Sweet 500 SL
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Window drop?

Phil Here. Thanks mbvis. but what the hell is a "Zeet"? Send me or post a schematic on how to construct this " Zeet " window drop electrical thing. I'll Deal with the noise at a later time...........

spitfire980! Nice color on your SL. Look at my photo albums

I'm hoping more of you guys will chime in on this request?.............

1992 Sweet 500 SL Phil Justice

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
it will need a controller, microswitches in the handles, and door switch in the pillar (opening is already cut in the door jamb)

shouldnt be too complicated...

reliable operation is a different story though...

·
10,293 Posts
the handle itself has a switch in post 1995 cars...

the factory switch is in the door locking eye...

·
Registered
R129 SL320 1998
105 Posts
Ok, I ask because on my '98 window drop isn't working on passenger doors and the dealer said that the problem is a non working microswitch in door lock,he wants to replace complete lock

·
10,293 Posts
just relace it with a used one,...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts