Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Black E 500
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine that ran the detail shop for a large dealership (domestic) in the midwest told me that the best thing for removing bugs from the front bumper and grille was windex. It works (on my wife's car), but I am not sure if it will hurt the finish over time. Any thoughts? I would like to know before I use it on my 500.

·
Registered
'03 CL500,& '07 GL450
227 Posts
MB may still offer the following item which I purchased from my MB dealer 7+ years ago:"Insektenentferner" Insect Remover. 250ml,8.44oz.,part number 000 986 76 71.

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
411 Posts
And since I dissed the Windex idea, I guess I should mention what *I* do... :)

First, keep plenty of wax/polish on the leading parts of the car. That will make the bugs stick less.

Second, I keep a plastic bucket sitting in the garage with water and a cap of Gold Class car wash in it. When I return from a trip, I dip a rag into the water and wet down the leading edges of the car.

Third, wait a few minutes, then wipe off the bugs and dry the car.

I've tried bug-n-tar remover products and haven't had much success. What they do seems more to work by friction whan by desolution. To get tar off the car rocker panels, I use lighter fluid. This also removes the wax, so you'll need to apply another coat. The lighter fluid won't attack the cured paint and actually disolves the tar...

Just my thoughts...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts