Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have more than a year's experience with my 107, I am more familiar with its characteristics and I take more notice when something seems different. With the onset of warmer Spring weather, there have been more opportunities to take the car out and stretch its legs. The warm weather is fine but there is still a fairly strong breeze in this part of the country.

On such windy days, at higer speeds (over 50mph), it feels like there is an engine miss. When this happens, I check the tach and it isn't fluctuating but I don't really know how responsive these tachs are so that may mean nothing. I've tried speeding up and the engine seems responsive.

Is this just the side effect of having the aerodynamics of a (slim) brick? Am I imagining it? Is this the reason for the 560 air dam chin spoiler?

I don't want to pass off a true engine malfunction as 'something the wind blew in'. All thoughts/comments/facts/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Digmenow said:
On such windy days, at higer speeds (over 50mph), it feels like there is an engine miss. [...] Is this just the side effect of having the aerodynamics of a (slim) brick? Am I imagining it?
I've noticed the same thing on mine, on days when the wind is blowing in gusts. The mileage is better than ever - and, incidentally, higher than it's supposed to get - so I don't think it's an engine problem. I think it is related to gusts catching the car and making it lag. As you pointed out, this thing isn't going to win any coefficient of drag contests. I don't think you're imagining it, but I also don't think it's necessarily an engine problem.

But keeping track of things like this is why I'm so anal about tracking my mileage. A budding engine problem will usually show up first in poor mileage.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ScottinSoCal said:
I've noticed the same thing on mine, on days when the wind is blowing in gusts. The mileage is better than ever - and, incidentally, higher than it's supposed to get - so I don't think it's an engine problem. I think it is related to gusts catching the car and making it lag. As you pointed out, this thing isn't going to win any coefficient of drag contests. I don't think you're imagining it, but I also don't think it's necessarily an engine problem.

But keeping track of things like this is why I'm so anal about tracking my mileage. A budding engine problem will usually show up first in poor mileage.
Thanks, Scott. Good to know I'm not the only one who experienced this. I wonder about the 560's with that extra air dam on the chin, though. There must be a reason Mercedes added it. Thing is, I've heard that retrofitting the 560 piece to older 107's can cause overheating issues. Maybe that's an old wives' tale but until now, it really didn't matter to me. I just don't care for the buffeting and if there's a way to reduce or eliminate it, I'd sure like to know.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Digmenow said:
Thanks, Scott. Good to know I'm not the only one who experienced this. I wonder about the 560's with that extra air dam on the chin, though. There must be a reason Mercedes added it. Thing is, I've heard that retrofitting the 560 piece to older 107's can cause overheating issues. Maybe that's an old wives' tale but until now, it really didn't matter to me. I just don't care for the buffeting and if there's a way to reduce or eliminate it, I'd sure like to know.
I don't think the air dam would make that much difference as far as causing the car to feel like it was missing. I have an "AMG" air dam and I experience the same thing in high winds.
BTW; The car runs cool enough (around 80 degrees) even in high ambient temps.
I don't do any stop and go though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts