Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 G500 & 2017 G63
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wondering, has anyone got a winch on the front of their G and managed to keep the bull bars on? I am attaching a picture of what looks to be a successful result - although I have no idea who did it, where they did it, how they did it, what size winch they put on, what they have to move/remove to get it done. I wouldn't bother with the extra lights given the Silverstars work so well for me and that would be yet another thing to try and figure out how to get working which definitely would not be worth the effort for me.

I would love a winch on the front of my G but alas, the difficulty of finding exactly what will do the job (and not ending up with too much stuff or too little) prevents me from getting too excited. I gather there are tow pin options as well but they look to involve losing your bull bars and full bumper replacement - none of which is anything I can do myself nor is there anyone I know that can do it; and of course, MB won't do it for you even if you wanted to pay up.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
04 Adventurewagen
616 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 G500 & 2017 G63
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't see that shot of yours (?) before I don't think.

So how hard is it to remove the original bumper, get the new one painted to match and fitted? Would MB dealer be able to do that part?

If so, would the 'winch carrier' be simple to then mount to 'something' (I don't know where it would be solid enough behind the winch at the front to winch the vehicle off of)? I guess a pin just goes into the carrier? If so, how do you fit/size a given winch to the carrier (would xyz branch winch not need to have matching bolts of some description to match a pattern on the carrier - hence maybe limiting your winch options?).

If its easy to buy/paint/install the bumper, easy to fit a winch, it might be a sensible project. It could be the slippery slope to motivating me to get the MB hitch put on at the back as the tow pin variety winch I gather can move front to back as needed.

Hmmmm...

Oh, and did you figure out the pricing for those side tanks in that picture and the attachment straps/bolts? What were the tank capacities again on those? Two 5 gallons? Thats like a range booster of about 150 miles give or take I figure.

·
Registered
04 Adventurewagen
616 Posts
Didn't see that shot of yours (?) before I don't think.

So how hard is it to remove the original bumper, get the new one painted to match and fitted? Would MB dealer be able to do that part?
Best bet would be an independent shop. The oilcooler in your bumper needs to be relocated into the "G-55" position (kit available with the bumper). The bumper bolts with the four M12 hex bolts into the original mountings.

If so, would the 'winch carrier' be simple to then mount to 'something' (I don't know where it would be solid enough behind the winch at the front to winch the vehicle off of)? I guess a pin just goes into the carrier? If so, how do you fit/size a given winch to the carrier (would xyz branch winch not need to have matching bolts of some description to match a pattern on the carrier - hence maybe limiting your winch options?).
The removable winch carrier fits into the "Zugmaul" of the tow pin bumper and held/locked in by the mighty Tow Pin.
The winch carrier features the standard mounting provision for all 8000 to 9500lbs winches. Also the use of the synthetic Viking winchline keeps the weight down.
A 2" receiver adapter is available to use this winch carrier setup in the rear of the truck as well.

If its easy to buy/paint/install the bumper, easy to fit a winch, it might be a sensible project. It could be the slippery slope to motivating me to get the MB hitch put on at the back as the tow pin variety winch I gather can move front to back as needed.

Hmmmm...

Oh, and did you figure out the pricing for those side tanks in that picture and the attachment straps/bolts? What were the tank capacities again on those? Two 5 gallons? Thats like a range booster of about 150 miles give or take I figure.
Please remember, the original MB Tow Pin Bumper offered by G-wagenaccessories has been already modified for the use on the G-500 and is ready for paint and installation.

I do have now a different Aux tank system. All aluminum welded 10 or 15 Gallon tank for water or fuel, easily mounted to the truck and quickly removed when debriefing the vehicle upon return from your adventure expedition.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 G500 & 2017 G63
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh yea, I forgot about needing to move the water cooler; the bumper almost sounds user doable but the water cooler is not. Wonder if a MB dealer would do it to a G500.

Where does the electric lead come from to the winch? Forgot about that part of the process as well.

Oh, and nice tank on the side. Very interesting. I wonder if its techincally street legal if you got pulled over and the officer asked what was in it; the thought being an externally 'hittable' gas tank that might explode in an accident vs one that is central to the chassis.

edit...while we are going, what size/brand/model of winch do you use Fernweh? I would think whatever it is, its likely to be one of the highest rated in its product family given the weight of the G.

·
Registered
04 Adventurewagen
616 Posts
It's not a water cooler, the transmission oil cooler needs to be moved from inside the original bumper to a location above the existing skid plate. This location has already the mounting provision for that oil cooler. The G-55 has that oil cooler mounted there originally.

The power cables for the winch are connected to the remote battery power post in the engine department. I have installed a heavy duty battery power disconnect switch in line to the winch to shut off the power when not needed.
The winch I'm using is a Warn 9500lbs one which can hold 100' of synthetic winch line, while other models with the bars across can only accommodate 80'. There is a good reason for it - if the cable is not spooled up correctly, it can get bunched up, bend the bars and might brake the winch sides.

Most of the stuff is not street legal - it's Expedition wear!

Some times you need the winch just to secure the vehicle from not sliding or falling wayward......

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts