Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice here...and this is my story.

Im 19 and just bought my first MB. Its an 84 300D turbo..auto tranny, 315K miles on the clock ;) Car runs great and the previous owner was an MB tech who documented all of the work. The interior is clean besides a crack in the dash :(
Here is what I want to know...The driverside rear fenderwell looks to have been hit by something. Its not dented in, its kind of ripped and pulled out right at the top of the wheel well....and its rusted. It was like that before I got the car. What I want to know is this....Should i fix it and just have it blended? Or should i fix it/blend the area and reclear the whole car?

I know people frown on repainting cars, for value reasons. BUT I'de just be reclearing the OEM paint...making the car looks practically brand new! What do you guys think?:surrender:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just repair the trouble area, dont bother wasting money redoing the entire car if it does not need it. This will not effect the value at all. actually it will raise the value as you are making a repair.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...Alright. The paint is faded since it is an 84, and I thought reclearing the whole car would make it look like new. I have two friends who work in seperate shops...but are both painters. I figured I could get a great deal on it..thats why asked

·
Registered
841 Posts
Looking for advice here...and this is my story.

Im 19 and just bought my first MB. Its an 84 300D turbo..auto tranny, 315K miles on the clock ;) Car runs great and the previous owner was an MB tech who documented all of the work. The interior is clean besides a crack in the dash :(
Here is what I want to know...The driverside rear fenderwell looks to have been hit by something. Its not dented in, its kind of ripped and pulled out right at the top of the wheel well....and its rusted. It was like that before I got the car. What I want to know is this....Should i fix it and just have it blended? Or should i fix it/blend the area and reclear the whole car?

I know people frown on repainting cars, for value reasons. BUT I'de just be reclearing the OEM paint...making the car looks practically brand new! What do you guys think?:surrender:
The car is never going to be worth very much anyway. I know it hurts a lot of people here to think about that, but any of these cars with 315k miles on them will never be a collector's item. They'll last a long time, sure, but so did the MB diesels of the 60s and look how much they're worth now... Do whatever you want to the car. If you want to keep the car stock or the original color, that's fine, but do it because it's what you want, don't worry about hurting the value of the car. At this point (and milage) any work you do on it won't increase the value of the car by more than the repair cost anyway. Do the work for your own better appreciation of the car.

I plan on repainting my 123 in the original color just so I can better admire her as i'm walking across the parking lot on a sunny day. I'll take care of all the body damage at the same time. I know that's $3000+ that I'll never see again but I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^werd. As of now the car is just to get me through college....BUT i may end up keeping it after i graduate and using it as a second car

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
^^werd. As of now the car is just to get me through college....BUT i may end up keeping it after i graduate and using it as a second car
Looks like we have similar plans

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well here is my thinking....Its an awesome car, but by the time Im out of college she could have around 450K miles.....or more lol. SO if she is still running, Im not gonna be a ble to sell it for much. I mine aswell keep it and use it as a second car, something classic to roll around in. Im very into cars and i plan on taking great care of the car. I hope it runs forever!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know that spending three grand sounds like a lot of money, But figure the cost of ownership of a newer car with the payment, insurance, taxes and even maintain costs. Then compare with the cost of a 123, and you'll say "Why didn't I buy a Camry?" Then ask yourself what you'd rather be driving, and the Merc will stay in the driveway:D

I plan on repainting my 123 in the original color just so I can better admire her as i'm walking across the parking lot on a sunny day. I'll take care of all the body damage at the same time. I know that's $3000+ that I'll never see again but I'm OK with that.[/QUOTE]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts