Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
'80 300SD (W116), '81 300D, '89 560SL, '01 E320
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 300D with a tranny that slips going from 2nd to 3rd (takes a long time to lock into 3rd). To make a long story short, I bought the car like this, added trans fluid, and haven't changed it yet (it's in the shop now about to have new fluid and new filter, and I also got the K1 spring kit and plan to have him put that in).

However, I'm on a weekend trip and found a listing on Craigslist for a transmission for $250. He explained that it was out of a 79 300D wagon he bought. It was already removed from the car and put into the back storage area of the car when he bought it. He never used it and never finished the project, and now he doesn't need it. The car's odo showed 170k. He doesn't know the condition other than that, but says he heard you can tell by the smell of the fluid, and he's gonna check, as well as try to get me a serial/part no.

I'm only here for another day, and I wonder if you all think I should buy it for my 81 300D, which may or may not need a new one. He's asking $250.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts