Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will these wheels fit on my car? I got a 94 C220.

I'm trying to put these wheels on...

Specs are: 2000 S Class. 18x8.5 +44 Front with 245/40 and 18x9.5 +46 Rear with 265/40.

Please let me know. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
Here ya go: Ejelta.com: Tire Size Calculator: 205/60-15

This chart should show you what the final diameters are of the different tire sizes available. There are some 18" tires with very narrow aspect ratios that will give you about the same size diameter as either the 15 or 16 inch rims/tires that came with the car. That is important if you want to keep the speedo even close to what it should be without some other mod to change the ratio.

Whether the bolt spacing on those rims will fit I have no idea. And if they do and all you are worried about is looking "cool" then go for it. Now if you care about how the car drives that's another story. You are putting tires that are much wider than what it was designed for which will affect the steering geometry and they may rub against the edge of the wheel well. But they will look cool, especially sitting still in some parking lot. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here ya go: Ejelta.com: Tire Size Calculator: 205/60-15

This chart should show you what the final diameters are of the different tire sizes available. There are some 18" tires with very narrow aspect ratios that will give you about the same size diameter as either the 15 or 16 inch rims/tires that came with the car. That is important if you want to keep the speedo even close to what it should be without some other mod to change the ratio.

Whether the bolt spacing on those rims will fit I have no idea. And if they do and all you are worried about is looking "cool" then go for it. Now if you care about how the car drives that's another story. You are putting tires that are much wider than what it was designed for which will affect the steering geometry and they may rub against the edge of the wheel well. But they will look cool, especially sitting still in some parking lot. :rolleyes:
Dude, you're old. Talkin' about how the car drives, of course I care about how the damn car drive. The speedo gets affected with the wheel diameter also I am aware of that, 1 or 2 mph off will not bother me. And what bolt spacing are you even talkin' about? Did you mean the bolt pattern? Mercedes are all 5x112 bolt pattern. Yeah I want to f*cking look cool with 18" wheels.

I'm well aware of the width difference on wheels and how the car steering response. I have a 911 with 18x10 on the rear and replaced it with 18x11 (track use).

Long story short, you don't f*cking know. So why reply?

Yes I know this message is foul. If you didn't tell me "I wanna look cool" or "sitting still in the parking lot" I would've been nicer. But you had to be an old fart talking about some 15" geometry bull crap, who gives a f*ck?.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
I think it was a bit rude to assume he just wants it to "look cool," it's not as though he's trying to fit 20's on Civic or something. This IS a Mercedes-Benz, and those ARE Mercedes-Benz (AMG) wheels... clearly it's a fair question to ask whether or not they will fit properly, and being a Mercedes-Benz owner, it would be safe to assume that this man is smart enough to know that he wants something that with both fit well and ride correctly on his car. This isn't supertunerblingedoutcivics.com.

My .02.

Anyway, I had those wheels on my W140 (maybe a different model, looked the same though) ... those should look great on your 202, I think. I had some thinner 5-spoke style wheels (AMG replicas) on mine, and while I didn't have them fit properly with the right tire size, they did look great... so you might look at other options also.

·
Registered
1994 C280 1996 C36 2002 ML500
513 Posts
Just for curiosity I plugged the specs into a wheel offset calculator on line against my E55 MonoII's and came up with this. For reference My Monos are 8x18 ET31 and 9x18 ET35 and they fit my C36 with only slight rubbing in the rear. I have had these on a C280 and the fronts rubbed big time. The difference here is the C36 has rolled fenders up front. Clearance on the fender side of the rim is tight both front and rear. Now to your wheels.....it looks like the wheels should clear your fenders just fine as the offsets you have will pull the rim edge in 7mm front and 5mm in the rear compared to my set up. The tricky part will be if you have enough clearance on the inboard side of the rim or the suspension side. An additional 19mm front and 17mm rear. Of course you could space them out a tad perhaps 5mm but that would be an extra expense. Now even if this all fits.....here is the biggest consideration (for me at least). The W220 uses 14mm bolt holes vs the W202 which used 12mm bolt holes. I would suggest finding a set of W210 E55 rims and pass on the headaches.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
They will fit. You may have to roll your inner fenders to prevent rubbing. I got the rims off my 500SEL when I sold it and put them on my C230. I did roll the fenders and they work great. I got 245-50-16 on my car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just for curiosity I plugged the specs into a wheel offset calculator on line against my E55 MonoII's and came up with this. For reference My Monos are 8x18 ET31 and 9x18 ET35 and they fit my C36 with only slight rubbing in the rear. I have had these on a C280 and the fronts rubbed big time. The difference here is the C36 has rolled fenders up front. Clearance on the fender side of the rim is tight both front and rear. Now to your wheels.....it looks like the wheels should clear your fenders just fine as the offsets you have will pull the rim edge in 7mm front and 5mm in the rear compared to my set up. The tricky part will be if you have enough clearance on the inboard side of the rim or the suspension side. An additional 19mm front and 17mm rear. Of course you could space them out a tad perhaps 5mm but that would be an extra expense. Now even if this all fits.....here is the biggest consideration (for me at least). The W220 uses 14mm bolt holes vs the W202 which used 12mm bolt holes. I would suggest finding a set of W210 E55 rims and pass on the headaches.
+111111111

·
Registered
07 C280 4Matic, 88 MR2-SC
635 Posts
I would suggest finding a set of W210 E55 rims and pass on the headaches.
Or a set of the 17" off the C36/C43. I have the rims off my 99' SLK230 Sport on my C280 Sport and they also fit fine with the stock 225/45R17 fronts and the 245/40R17 rears.

NP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts