Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes Benz 380 SLC & 1997 Jaguar XJ8 4.0 LWB Sovereign
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,i have just bought these 17" alloys hoping they will fit a Mercedes 450SLC that i am trying to buy.
They are 8.5 X 17" BBS with a very deep dish and have an offset of et13.
They seem to have a stud pattern of 5 X 112mm but i am going to try them on my 380SEC which i am breaking for spares to confirm they are the correct fitment at least.
They are fitted with 245/45/17 tyres,not too sure if perhaps 225/40/17 might be a better fit.
If i can find out if they fit,i will keep them till i get my 450SLC then repaint them ready for fitment,i think they would look awesome...what do you think...?
Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

Cheers Crawfy !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
The offset seems about right! The proof is in the tasting, so slap them on and find out!

Is the can of Irn Bru to prove your are, in fact, in Glasgow? ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes,you can't beat a can of Irn Bru...i was just trying to show the width of the dish on the rims.
I would hope they will fit,i am going to try them on my SEC tomorrow hopefully but i really need them to fit an SLC.
Best wishes to you in Aus from Glasgow !!!

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
I'm betting there not going to fit the slc:mad:
my p215/60R15 93T just fit

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Assuming the wheels fit, you're better off with the existing tire size than changing.

A 245/45-17 will give you a +1.49% error over the original size.
A 225/40-17 will give you a -5.03% error over the original size.

1.5% is within the tolerances for a mechanical speedometer. 5% is well over the tolerance.

·
Registered
450SLC
347 Posts
My 450 has 225/60/15 wheels on the rear that have a offset of something like 30, and between the tire and the outer fender is like 2-3cm, so with a offset of 13mm i can pretty much guarantee they will fit. I dont have any rubbing on the wheels either and i drive hard over speed bumps(40+mph) etc so you should be fine with the wheels :) If they are all the 245 u might have to go slightly smaller, 225, on the fronts as i think the offset is like 15mm compared to the rears been 11 or so.

They look great by the way, i personally think 17s are about as big as you want to go on these cars, enough tire on them to give the comfort but a small enough side wall to handle great :)

Please report back with how well they fit etc and pics of the car with its new wheels =)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My mistake...just checked the tyres properely and they are 235/45/17 NOT 245 as i first stated so that should be better i reckon.
I agree with bluefang....i would not go larger than 17",i have seen pics with 18-20 inch and personally i dont think they enhance the SLC shape.
I will hopefully get one on to try today so i will have an idea of how they sit on an SEC,but i take it the SLC models have a similar size wheel & offset to the SEC's...
Thanks for the help and advice,cheers Crawfy !

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
You've probably got the wrong offset. Do they sit too deep or too proud?
I have the AMG lowering springs so I have a inch of less clearance.

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
My mistake...just checked the tyres properely and they are 235/45/17 NOT 245 as i first states so that should be better i reckon.
I agree with bluefang....i would not go larger than 17",i have seen pics with 18-20 inch and personally i dont think they enhance the SLC shape.
I will hopefully get one on to try today so i will have an idea of how they sit on an SEC,but i take it the SLC models have a similar size wheel & offset to the SEC's...
Thanks for the help and advice,cheers Crawfy !
If your just testing do a rear. It's the place that any major clearance problems would show up first.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
87 Posts
If your just testing do a rear. It's the place that any major clearance problems would show up first.
Not necessarily. You have to watch the tie rods on the front. Mine need spacers on the front, but not in the rear. Don't remember the dimensions on mine. On another thread somewhere.

Send them to me and I will try them on my 560 SL :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of your valued advice,unfortunately i am still waiting to get the wheel bolts to try them on my SEC to see how they look....and if they actually fit.
I am going away for the weekend so i will hopefully do it on Monday or Tuesday and i will post a pic of the result.
Have a good weekend everyone.

Cheers Crawfy !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts