Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Why the SL350? Because.....

MB's mid-range engines (380s, 320s, and soon to be 350) engines are always their best ones - highest volume production since they are used across the lines from C to E to S to SL to CLK to ML etc...... get the most use, testing, and tweaking. Best mixture of power, reliability, and value. Will make the $86K SL500 into a $72K SL350. Most people (not necessairly enthusiasists on this board) don't 'need' all that power from a 5.0 or a 5.5 AMG or a 6.0 V12. Some buy for 'status' but most 'sunday drivers' are happy going to the country club from 0 - 60 in 7 seconds rather than 6.5 or 6.0 and save the extra $14K for country club dues........

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Why the SL350? Because.....

I will definitely get the SL350 even if I have enough money for the 500. I don't need the status or the 2 seconds faster

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything I hear is that the production line in Bremen is stretched to the absolute limit.<br>
<br>
I am sure there will be an SL350 out soon, at least in Europe. It might seem strange to produce a lower profit margin car when demand for the big ones is so strong, but I think Mercedes is looking to the state of the market in the future. <br>
<br>
If the SL350 was delayed until the demand for the SL500 and SL55 was under control, there would be a surplus of secondhand SL500s in 3-4 years time which would depress residuals. The 'current' SL320 has always made the most sense financially here with the SL600 being a bit of a liability come trade in time. My 60000 mile SL600 is worth about 25% of what I paid for it. My eyes are watering at the thought!<br>
<br>
The waiting lists have a habit of reducing significantly once the car is established and the time wasters are flushed out. However, if you just take the straight numbers, the current waiting list is more than the lifetime production of the car for the UK.<br>
<br>
My dealer has 160 people waiting and is getting 8 cars this year.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: More About SL350

A SL350 is sufficient. SL500, SL600 and SL55 AMG are too powerful.<br> <br> The 3.5-liter V6 engine is not too impressive with 245hp & 350Nm against BMW's 3.6-liter V8 engine in 735i.<br> <br> There will be a S350 in the facelifted S-class. I wonder what happen to the S320?

·
Registered
CLK 320 cabrio. A190
36 Posts
Re: Re: Why the SL350? Because.....

I will definitely get the SL350 even if I have enough money for the 500. I don't need the status or the 2 seconds faster
hmmm, but why not getting the 'best' one.
but i guess when u have money, you don't need that 'show'.
its kinda like bill gates that rides in plane in economical class ( i think that's the correct word)

·
Registered
CLK 320 cabrio. A190
36 Posts
PS:
i believe they will make a V12 (600) SL.
and also a some supercharged V12 version ...

PS:
i believe they will make a V12 (600) SL.
and also a some supercharged V12 version as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts