Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I'm considering purchasing an E500. I have a couple of lorinser replica 19" wheels.

front: 8.5JX19H2

rear: 9.5JX19H2

ET=25 on both pairs. bolt pattern: 5x112

will they fit or are they a bit too wide?

thanks

·
W124 Moderator
12,601 Posts
That is a bunch of wheel to get under the fenders and still be able to drive the car as it was intended. This chart may help you and

Good Luck,

Jayare

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you both, doesn't look like a good match judging from the chart. I suppose that 18" AMG usually fit nicely on this model and are quite popular?

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I personally won't run anything larger than 17" on a 124, both for fitment reasons, as well as the sheer cost of replacement tires. I have seen some sweet 18" rims, though

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
From what I can determine standard wheels were 16 x8 ET 34 !
The larger brakes etc are the biggest issue to bear in mind when trying to find some replacement wheels.

As a general rule of thumb I think your safe in the 30 - 40 ET range provided you don't increase rim width too much. And bear in mind that going to 18's increases the height by 2inches which can be offset by a lower profile tyre but at the end of the day you need to be concious of the potential for tyre rub on guards.

If you stick to the table Jayare posted above and use those configurations you should be safe in your purchase. BUT keep in mind those wider rims that have the comment WIDE WHEELARCH were vehicles customised to take increased wheel sizes. Here's a couple of diagrams showing the effect going from stock 16" to 18".

The first uses an example change from stock to 18" using same size tyre but on a rim with an offset of 40. You can see the profile changes are quite a bit and the height increase.

wheel comparison.jpg

Second is using the AMG 17's non wide wheelarch, 17 x 8.25 which was a specific size release for the 500E. Unfortunately the calculator doesn't allow for 8.25" so I put in 8.5" instead for the result.

wheel comparison-2.jpg

You can see that the effect is almost minimal ! Height is the same despite going to 18 inch rims and the change of offset is .3".

Unless you can actually try something other than what is shown in the Jayare's Mercedes listing of wheels/tyres or find someone who has put a set of what you wish to buy on it will be a suck it and see excercise. An expensive one too I would suggest.

There are so many sets of rims out there that would look great on my car but when I go to the offset and find it is really pushing the equation regarding how far in the wheel would need to go to be bolted on presenting problems with impacting the brakes, strut or inner guardswalls when turning.

Hope this has helped. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
indeed, uber-low profile tires wreck the ride quality on rough roads. I wouldn't want anything lower profile than a /55 on a daily driver street car. you hit even a small pothole with a /45 or whatever, and the potential for a pinch flat is just way too high.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for posting everyone, I am not a genius when it comes to wheels and sizes etc. However my SL r129 was originally fitted with 16" wheels as well,, but when I bought it the wheels I mentioned in the original post were fitted. It worked and looked pretty good but I changed it for a pair of AMGs designed for the r129 AMG versions. I liked the look of the 18" better. At least on the r129 it seems too me that a wide range of different sizes works but I realize now that this is not the case with the w124.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
18's

thanks for posting everyone, I am not a genius when it comes to wheels and sizes etc. However my SL r129 was originally fitted with 16" wheels as well,, but when I bought it the wheels I mentioned in the original post were fitted. It worked and looked pretty good but I changed it for a pair of AMGs designed for the r129 AMG versions. I liked the look of the 18" better. At least on the r129 it seems too me that a wide range of different sizes works but I realize now that this is not the case with the w124.
I'm running 18's on both my 300CE and SL. Without a doubt they look better than 16's, but the ride quality does suffer.

When the tires wear out on the CE, I've got a set of 16" retro AMG's going on it. Too many rough roads in my area to run the 18's back and forth to work. I think the real classic look on an SL are the 3 piece 17" OZ Aero I type, if you can find a good set anywhere. The same goes for a 500E, the 17" OZ's are perfect for them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm running 18's on both my 300CE and SL. Without a doubt they look better than 16's, but the ride quality does suffer.

When the tires wear out on the CE, I've got a set of 16" retro AMG's going on it. Too many rough roads in my area to run the 18's back and forth to work. I think the real classic look on an SL are the 3 piece 17" OZ Aero I type, if you can find a good set anywhere. The same goes for a 500E, the 17" OZ's are perfect for them.
I agree, they do look perfect on most mercs. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why stop there?

:rolleyes:
It is not an absolute necessity for me to fit it with 19" wheels but as mentioned I had some lying around. That is why at least I would stop there :) Although I am having second thoughts after seeing that photo you posted, it looks really incredible.

Volvo 745 is a very nice car btw, especially the rare ones with working fuel gauges :)

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
It is not an absolute necessity for me to fit it with 19" wheels but as mentioned I had some lying around. That is why at least I would stop there :) Although I am having second thoughts after seeing that photo you posted, it looks really incredible.

Volvo 745 is a very nice car btw, especially the rare ones with working fuel gauges :)
I've never had a fuel gauge problem on a Volvo. bad odometers, yes. for what its worth, the 91/92 740's were really 940's in almost every respect, just less options (mine has manual seats, no cruise, although it does have heated seats and a sunroof)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've never had a fuel gauge problem on a Volvo. bad odometers, yes. for what its worth, the 91/92 740's were really 940's in almost every respect, just less options (mine has manual seats, no cruise, although it does have heated seats and a sunroof)
okay, I used to have a 94 Volvo 940, the least powerful and with the least equipment, very boring to drive in the summer, quite alright during winter ;) typical problem on an older Volvo in Sweden is busted fuel gauge, otherwise they are famous for their reliability here, they keep on running and running.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts