Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I just wanted to see what you all think. Will the W221 be a better car all round? Meaning the following:

Quality will be as good as the W126 era!
Service will be as good as the W126 era!

I dont care about the BS like the technology they are gonna throw in. I am talking all around! A general, "IS THIS A GOOD RELIABLE PROBLEM FREE (WITHIN REASON) CAR"
I know no car is perfect....

·
Registered
2000 S500 Sport
79 Posts
RE: Will the W221 be a "better" car?

Of course this is all subjective, I consider my W220 to be "problem free within reason" after three repairs, none of which seem unreasonable to me as a former mechanic.

I've noticed a lot of the complaining about current MB reliability is unreasonable (again speaking as a former mechanic). For example I see people bitching about needing new brake pads at 30,000 miles. How on earth is this bad???????? My last two cars were Lincoln Town Cars, due to the massive weight of those things I was lucky to get 15,000 out of a set of brake pads. Just an example. I imagine people who whine about every tiny little thing are the fake money country club stereotypes who give real MB enthusiasts like us a bad name.

Also if you look at the JD Power numbers, it's based on the number of problems in the first year. Lexus is #1 and MB is #10 right now, but do the math and MB's problem rate is only 15% more than Lexus. Not much of a difference at all....................

·
Registered
2001 S430
96 Posts

People are not "bitching" about routine maintenance. Even MB acknowledges that there are quality issues with their late model vehicles. People get pissed when they spend $80K on a car that's in the shop quite often and then have to wait days - if not weeks - to get their car back.

·
Registered
2000 S500 Sport
79 Posts

mhorkey - 5/17/2005 8:10 PM

People are not "bitching" about routine maintenance. Even MB acknowledges that there are quality issues with their late model vehicles. People get pissed when they spend $80K on a car that's in the shop quite often and then have to wait days - if not weeks - to get their car back.
Well, actually there's lots of "bitching" on this and other forums about what are otherwise routine issues.

Also I'm fortunate that my dealer is the #1 in the country for customer satisfaction, I get treated like a celebrity there, apparently this is most definitely not the case with the majority of MB dealers.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Looking back, I should have invoked the "lemon law" on my 2000 S430. From totally inferior plastic interior parts to major suspension failure(s), the car was in the dealership nearly every month that I owned it (39 months). The electronics were abysmal with AM radio reception nearly non existant. The command center was replaced 3 times, etc etc etc. My 2004 S500 however, after 22,000 miles has been virtually flawless. I told my dealer that the new W221 could be my next car, just NOT the first year model !

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

MBZFAN55 - 5/28/2005 7:22 PM

Looking back, I should have invoked the "lemon law" on my 2000 S430. From totally inferior plastic interior parts to major suspension failure(s), the car was in the dealership nearly every month that I owned it (39 months). The electronics were abysmal with AM radio reception nearly non existant. The command center was replaced 3 times, etc etc etc. My 2004 S500 however, after 22,000 miles has been virtually flawless. I told my dealer that the new W221 could be my next car, just NOT the first year model !

yep. i would never get the first model year. Why would ANYONE!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts