Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
The President of the United States in a German car? Does the Queen arrive in an armored Volvo? :)

Brett
Don't be silly, she's in a Rolls - the only car the 140 sought to sit "astride"

Seriously after 140, it's Ferrari. Sure a CL215 or 221 would be nice, but they are just cars. C140 or W140 is astride the Rolls and the Ferrari, well...

Ferrari:- the W140 is simply a stepping stone to the prancing horse once you realise E38 aside (as Taclkeberry clearly has) there is little worth buying, or a least restoring after 1999!

So obviously its not a classic, it is the classic graduation ceremony. :cool:

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
Jlo is a reason enough to NOT get a maybach. I have standards you know...
I wouldnt kick her out of bed.

I personally think the Mybachs look like a pregnaut Hyundai.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
there is little worth buying, or a least restoring after 1999!

So obviously its not a classic, it is the classic graduation ceremony. :cool:
I have not had my 140 CL very long, but it is something that I just love to drive and work on. After 6 years with the 230 and very expensive to maintain (£4k) the 220 and 215 were out of the equation, apart from anything else the built in tin worms eat them all away in the UK.

·
Registered
1998 S320LWB & 1999 S420
2 Posts
i've a '98 S320LWB and a '99 S420 (his and hers in the day). They've been in my garage for 90% of their lives. Whenever I take them out there is always someone who leaves a biz card or note under a wiper proposing a sale. I've been tempted as they get about 2-3K miles per year usage, but they are in wonderful condition (everything works) and I cannot see the point in disposal for a few thousand dollars. I suppose that I will see what happens over the long haul. They are both still a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
1989 300 SE
75 Posts
I know this post has aged... but I must agree. I have been longing for my 140 for so long, and really cherish every moment in it. But the question is what's next? The Maranello is really the only car that can equate to the 140 in terms of driving passion. Unless of course you would consider reversing and purchasing another old Benz... Adenauer?! I just wish there were more old school mechanics that know 140s here in Miami... because it is a challenge to trust anyone (other than yourself) to get your hands on these beautiful things.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,412 Posts
As I have said early and often, the w140 represents the pinnacle of the automotive art in the modern era.

I know. I have so-called supercars post w140 production and they do not hold up to the w140 in terms of build quality and engineering excellence. The later cars are very nice and have new electronic gizmos, and powerful motors made so with turbos, but electronic gizmos are relatively cheap (like computers in general), and turbos aren't the same as finely engineered engines like the M120.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
864 Posts
F1 Design and Reliability Speaks Volumes!

While the W140 is not the same as the current F1 Silver Arrows, I believe Mercedes success this year is a testament to MB engineering and reliability. MB has not been sidelined by something as simple as a sparkplug as have the Ferraris. The niggling things which bother the W140s are gingerbread, like the rear sun shade in my S600 which quit working. I was about to change the third brake light again (Damn thing is a pain) and now the shade will not go down. However, that V-12 still purrs with 100K mile on it! The engines and Trannys are virtually bullet proof if well cared for. The Maranello cars are not the same and their dealers are only in the major cities. However, that dancing horse is sexy!

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
411 Posts
(Almost) Perfectly stated. Why I bought the one I did

As I have said early and often, the w140 represents the pinnacle of the automotive art in the modern era.

I know. I have so-called supercars post w140 production and they do not hold up to the w140 in terms of build quality and engineering excellence. The later cars are very nice and have new electronic gizmos, and powerful motors made so with turbos, but electronic gizmos are relatively cheap (like computers in general), and turbos aren't the same as finely engineered engines like the M120.
Art....and mechanical design and function. Here's why I bought a 97 S600 V12 Coupe from California, with verified MB dealer history for 17 of 20 years, after having owned probably 25 cars in 25 years including a few Benzes from the 80s, 90s and 2000s:

1) The gas crisis of the 70s marked the end of the original era of increasing performance, style and durability
2) The late 80s/early 90s 4-valve and luxury and performance revival - think 750IL, ZR-1, M119, Northstar, LS400/Q45 V8s - started a "new dawn" that, in my opinion, ended around the late last decade/early part of this decade, when, as an example, the 6.2 naturally-aspirated AMG big motor was retired in favor of a smaller supercharged motor - and all the motors since around that time, that have become smaller, blown, or god forbid rigged with "stop/start" motors that rattle at the drive-thru
3) Electric is the way of the future, and AMG, as just one example, will make amazing cars and faster cars at the forefront of electric technology, but they aren't IC motors and that forever changes the experience
4) The only MBs ever ,consistently, worth anything after 40 years are the convertibles and the coupes. I'm talking mass-produced; the 600 Pullman and the 500E, or any Hammer models don't count. Those are distinctly rare models.
5) They made around 400k w140s, but only something like 30k coupes worldwide, most were 94s/95s, and most were V8s.
6) Of those coupes, I estimate 1 in 6 were M120s
7) Of the M120 coupes, the best version is the facelifted 96+ with 722.6 and Bosch ME injection, etc - the most mature version of the 140.

I have accepted reality and drive a plug-in hybrid as my go-to car because we cannot escape the future and live in denial. I chose the 600 as the "vintage modern" example I want to buy and hold - the peer vehicles of this era were the pinnacle of IC design, and there will never be any like them - with the 140 being possibly at the top of the pack among competitors.

Now if I can ever afford the 70 SL I want, the cars of that era capped everything in terms of design and style pre-gas crisis. And a 67 Eldo or Toronado ;)

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,412 Posts
The reality of rarity is not merely numbers produced, but of those numbers produced, how many are maintained in good enough condition to be determine 'collectible'??

Consider the crop of supercars as they are produced. Virtually all of them are kept as collectible, as they should be. The challenge for cars produced in large quantities is that they are commodities at the beginning, but as time goes on, it is apparent not many are available. Consider other cars, like the Chrysler K-car, the Ford Pinto, Cadillac DeVille. Mass produced, yet how many survive today? Meanwhile, aren't virtually all Ferrari's still on the road, regardless of age?

The fact Mercedes put so much into the w140 model renders this model very collectible in the better incarnations, namely the ones equipped with a M120 engine the ones that came with all the high-end options and trim. The M120 engine has proven to be able to easily go over 200,000 miles, as long as it is maintained properly. But most are discarded well ahead of that mileage because owners determine their maintenance doesn't keep with their value, a nonsensical argument, usually passed around by people who buy a $200,000 (today's value) car for $10,000, and expect maintenance bills to be relative to a $10,000 automobile.

Know what you have, and enjoy it. Never buy a car for its expected future value, buy a car because you appreciate it and want to drive it.

·
Registered
'95 S600
441 Posts
Indeed. I find that once a car has fully deprecated it will start to appreciate the older it gets if it remains in good unmolested condition. Obviously some cars are more sort after and\or worth more than others but everyone has their dream cars, some are financially obtainable and people will pay good money for this even though it may only be a simple 1970's Toyota Corolla.

I like my W140 but the main reason i don't want to sell it is because even finding an average S600 for sale is extremely uncommon. My AMG optioned S600 is quite likely the only one in the country so i want to make it even tidier while enjoying the qualities it offers

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
411 Posts
Stryker those are good points, and why I like my car's chances in 20 years. Overlooked, most people have never seen one else forgot about it, I doubt these are even on the average collector's radar nor will be. But when one rolls up to the auction, the guy with money to burn will say "holy crap! I forgot about those, hey that's a pretty cool car for 60 grand, what's 60 grand when I just spent $300k on a vintage 95 M3 with 50k miles?"

Any doubts about oddball cars that you would NEVER expect to bring any attention will be easily removed once you spend an hour on Bringatrailer.com. I watched a 92 poison green 8-valve GTI with 70k and rust around the doorframes do $8k. That's a $4k car on a good day except until it's worth 8 - why? Because the rest of them all rusted out 10-15 years ago and people forgot about them. You don't see them every day, unlike vintage Ferraris and "the usual suspects"

I guarantee you if a K-car pops up with under 100k and in driveable condition, it will bring $5k on that site. Someone somewhere has a fond memory of every oddball car, and the one that survived the junkyard seems to bring all the money. Irrational money, but money nonetheless. What's a running, working 40 year old V12 S class coupe worth at that point?

I didn't but it to make money off of, I bought it for NZ's reasons above, $2600, max depreciation, very few left that aren't being parted out, so I don't lose sleep over pumping money into it to get it up to OEM spec and enjoy it. I toyed with another 129 SL, but those are all 8 grand 90-96 models and you will spend about the same getting them right - but they made 200k and everyone thinks they're worth the moon, kind of like 107 SLs - and because there were so many (like the 76 Eldo everyone bought and mothballed and thus are relatively worthless), they will be lucky to be worth good money at the 50 year mark

·
Registered
1999 s500 sedan and 1997 s600 coupe
13 Posts
My 97 s600 coupe in near mint condition with amg staggered monoblocks and the 3 piece trunk wing gets more “holy crap” conversations started than anyone sporting a corvette. I’ve had 2 serious offers of 40k which is way out there for what their supposedly worth, and surly more than I had to give for her. In my opinion this is a rare well built car highly desirable car especially for one that has the ability to work on it. To me my car IS a classic. I could care less what anyone says.
CD269E20-5407-49AC-A888-EF836360F96F.jpeg
CD269E20-5407-49AC-A888-EF836360F96F.jpeg
2DB87287-8649-4673-B2FD-4E6C65543C98.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
You are both absolutely correct, the C140 is a classic, one that will gain in appreciation over the coming years. These are the best made, best engineered cars of the modern era.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts