Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1993 400 SEL
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I was with a friend, who has a beautiful 1965 Ford Mustang convertible, and I made a comment how I cannot see our W140's appreciate in value. I thought that with a mass production of 406,000+ W140 on the road, it would never become a collectible. My friend turned to me and brought to my attention that there were over 1/2 million Ford Mustang made in 1965...and it's a collector today....

So, I also Googled the internet and also on Amazon for any books on the W140 as a classic ... looking for a coffee table book to buy...and there is nothing out there...I guess it's not there yet as a classic...or will it ever reach near classic status?

·
Registered
1993 400 SEL
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's only 20 years old. Give it another 20 or 30 years.

Brett
I hear that a car between 20 to 40 years old is considered a classic. Beyond that it's an antique. I also just saw Jay Leno's drive on the SLS and he used the term "Instant Classic" to describe the SLS. So, I am guessing our W140 is not in the "Instant Classic" catagory....

BTW: if a car get's classic status, I think we can get special Classic license plates...for those that only drive their cars a few times a week or a month (there are some rules / limitation to these plates...not sure off the top of my head).

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
any car that is over XX number of years can get collector or "QQ" plates in my state...has nothing to do with the status of the car.

That said, No s-class ever built (with the possible exception of the "grosser") will reach collector status. Classic...maybe, but not for many years.

I wouldn't expect much price appreciation unless you have a very low mile s600 or something.

·
Registered
1993 400 SEL
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any car that is over XX number of years can get collector or "QQ" plates in my state...has nothing to do with the status of the car.

That said, No s-class ever built (with the possible exception of the "grosser") will reach collector status. Classic...maybe, but not for many years.

I wouldn't expect much price appreciation unless you have a very low mile s600 or something.

I actually do think the W140 will reach collector status...not now, but someday. I also think most people would consider the W126 s-class is a collectors and a classic.

wrt price appreciation, I am never big on valuation. If a car is old and price a lot then it tend to be in perfect original condition...my W140 would definitely not qualify as a collector's...it may, however, someday become a classic...with classic resale price. But I don't ponder on those things, I just like driving it and when it's time to sell...it goes to what the market is willing to pay...invariably the price will always be considerably less than what we spent on it...but that is the cost of having anything that is worth having.

·
Registered
Lada Riva
318 Posts
I think as time goes on the well kept examples will appreciate, the previous generations of S-Classes are commanding a lot more now days just look at the young timer market in Germany, the 140s will be appreciated classics as more and more of them vanish due to lack of care.

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts

You forgot about the older S class models such as the 300SEL 6.3 and the 450SEL 6.9.Those are already considered collectors item.

·
3phase-4pole
4,841 Posts
Generally 4doors dont get the legendary status the 2door models do. Hence the pricing diff

By 2018 the W140 will be part of the parts catalogue of MB Classic Center...haha

·
Registered
W140 S320 1998
320 Posts
The W140 is quite pricey here..... like $18000 for a 96 S320.....so maybe you guys can think about exporting your cars to Kenya for sale as they are still very marketable and quite expensive!!!:D .I havent seen the S600 here yet...you can make an offer!!! Goverment doesnt allow import of vehicles over 7 years without special permission. My W140 S320 gets mucho respects on the roads...I see it when I get right of way and even our crazy PSV vehicles wont come near me (trust me they car called matatus and have the worst drivers on earth!!!). Its my weeekend driver and i can hardly wait for the weekends to put her on the road........something about cruising around in a W140 at 140+kph......I am thinking of entering her in our local classic cars show....its called "Concours de Elegance" once I Spruce her up a bit.....W140 will always be a classic in my book!!!:bowdown:

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1993 S600 coupe (RHD)
199 Posts
cars in uk qualify for classic insurance status at 15 years or older i believe. this in turn provides some kind of discount for some vehicle insurance premiums i think

·
Banned
2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
3,373 Posts
It is a classic! One of the last "proper" built Mercedes before they started building disposable cars..

The history of its development, and production speaks for it self..

W140 is a classic in my books too..

·
Registered
73 Posts
The W140 imo will be remember for both the good and not so good.

it was the last of the over engineered cars, made in a period where there was no budgets, and it showed in the quality

sadly, it will be remembered as the car that princess Diana passed away in. Tho to be fair, the driver was drunk and passengers did not wear seatbelts, and the bodyguard who did, survived (S280 mind you!).

I hope to be able to find one in reasonable condition one day, and i will maintain it to be a classic (even concours vehicle)

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,412 Posts
Tastes change, markets change. All over time.

10-years ago, muscle cars barely registered a blip on the American car scene. Today, it's a much sought-after category.

The Adenauer and Ponton and the 100 are much sought after classics of the
1950's, 1960's. They have 4-doors.

W140's are falling in price because the examples for sale are in such horrid shape.

Find a good one in good shape and that's hard to do right now.

·
Premium Member
U1250L DOKA
709 Posts
I think the W140 will fall into the 'great old car if you want a driver' category. Not going to hit the level where an auction will get close to sticker when they are 30 YO.
My 15 centavo's

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
10-years ago, muscle cars barely registered a blip on the American car scene. Today, it's a much sought-after category.

The Adenauer and Ponton and the 100 are much sought after classics of the
1950's, 1960's.
Are you literally clueless about EVERYTHING?

Muscle cars barely registered a blip in 2001? Are you mental? Proper muscle cars have been popular since the early 90s.

How many Adenauers, Pontons, and 100s were built? I'm guessing it wasn't 400k+

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,412 Posts
OliverK:

You have such a charming way about you.

Prices for muscle cars were never as high as they are right now. By any measure. But that's another thread for another forum. And we're in a steep recession.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes S500
59 Posts
Already a Classic to me

Not sure when it will officially become a classic...Not even sure who officially
dictates that it is. I know that in my 38 year of living..I have owned numerous cars...Mostly luxury models. I can't see how the W140 cannot become a classic. I guess I am a little biased since I own one..But the ride of a Fully functional W140 with no issues is unparallelled to anything that is made today..ASIDE from a MAYBACH or RR. i owned a Newer model Caddy, Lincoln and Buick..and though they all look pretty, equipped with numerous electronic features...None compare to my 95 S500 with 80K miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
OliverK:

You have such a charming way about you.

Prices for muscle cars were never as high as they are right now. By any measure. But that's another thread for another forum. And we're in a steep recession.
I'm tired of your incessant ramblings in which you attempt to make your (usually misguided or flat out incorrect) opinions sound factual.

Yes muscle car prices are high...they have been high for years. Some cars have gotten more expensive, others have fallen in value.

Point being, saying the muscle cars were just a blip until now is just factually incorrect.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
As I have an investment in cars right now, I chose the relatively limited editions of MB's 12-cylinder models as I think they will hold values better than the more common models of the same line. In general, I think that's a good principal to follow. Find the least common of the marque and go with it.

I am not expecting a monumental increase in value. I don't think you can expect that of cars in the generation they're issued. What I do appreciate is the fact these cars are great daily drivers and that's the satisfaction of ownership that is the true benefit.

That's why any car collector (versus accumulator) will tell you to drive what you like, to buy what you like, not what you think is going up in value.

Even the so-called classics of today started out with depreciation upon purchase. The gullwings, for example, were selling for far less as used cars than new. Cars appreciate in value as owners appreciate them, as they fondly recall them as kids, now adults, and wishing to return to what they liked or admired.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts