Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a remark on another automotive forum about the life of a Xenon bulb.

Allegedly, someone mentioned "the Xenon bulb should last the life of your car".

Now, I've read some comments about having to be very careful when fitting a Xenon bulb, i.e. wear special gloves, never touch the bulb with your bare hands (the grease will kill the bulb prematurely), etc...

But does anyone have a 'general' idea of how long the Bi-Xenon's should last in the SLK (or Xenon's in general...).

Are their functional life cycle a year, a few years, or a dozen?

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Good question. In my projector they only last for about 1000 hours and cost about $800. However it uses an arc Xenon (no filament) which is fundamentally deferent. I believe car headlights have a filament and only use the arc to strike them.

·
Registered
SLK350
67 Posts
That is a good question because I prefer to drive mine with the daytime lights on. I noticed that it simply turns on the xenon headlights all the time. My lexus daytime lights are actually just the high beams dimmed. I hope they don't burn out too soon. How much would it cost to replace the bulbs?

Anyone have leveling issues with their xenons? My passenger one seems to be higher all the time. And its not because I'm seated on the driver side. I've tried starting the car in the passenger seat and same thing...

·
Registered
SLK 200
70 Posts
I asked the same question, with respect to the passenger side headlight seemingly higher than the drivers side.

The answer I got from the MB technician is that it is set this way so that oncomming traffic will not be dazzled by the drivers side headlight, whilst the passenger side is a bit higher for added visibility.

seems logical to me (in most cases anyway)

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
73 Posts
In January I turned in two xenon-equipped cars. Each had roughly 50,000 miles. One was five years old and one was four years old. I never had to replace a bulb.

·
Registered
SLK230
189 Posts
SLK-SA - 3/31/2005 2:34 PM
The answer I got from the MB technician is that it is set this way so that oncomming traffic will not be dazzled by the drivers side headlight, whilst the passenger side is a bit higher for added visibility.
That's right. It' called asymetric lighting. The old lights had different patterns in the lens giving the same effect.But on clear-lens xenons the beam is adjusted lower on the drivers side. Same goes for all cars.

Xenons lasts for years, but i've seen on my other cars that they seem to alter color, from almost white towards a more blueish tone as they age.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi there,

Xenon life span is longer than those normal halogen lights. But to shorten the lifespan of the xenon is to turn on frequently. For example, if u only drive for about 5 mins or somewhere nearby. U turn on the lights then shut off... Then after a moment later u turn it on again. This will shorten the lifespan of the bulb. So normally for me i would turn on the pilot light and fog lights for short drive. Be it xenon or normal bulb, leaving it on for a long period of time will somehow heat up the plasic cover also.

Cheers...[;)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aren't the fog lights only meant to be used in the case of 'fog'.

At least over here, you'll get fined for keeping them on if there is no need for it.

·
Registered
R171 200K
115 Posts
Have a similar law here I believe. Unfortunatly the only type of traffic enforcement i've ever seen police do here is for speeding. Some of the bangers on the road.. no way they have an MOT! Lot of incredibly bad drivers as well...

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
R171200K - 4/1/2005 1:02 PM

Have a similar law here I believe. Unfortunatly the only type of traffic enforcement i've ever seen police do here is for speeding. Some of the bangers on the road.. no way they have an MOT! Lot of incredibly bad drivers as well...
I actually got pulled over last spring, cause I had my fog lights on when it wasn't foggy. He wanted to make sure that I knew I was blinding other drivers - which of course I know!! [:D]

But considering it was 2am in the morning and I was on a country type road, and I hadn't seen any cars the entire 2 hour drive!?!??! (Well aside from this cop car!!!) Couldn't see the major harm in it, plus it meant I could spot the suicidal rabbits, cause two weeks earlier one had ran in front of my and caused some damage to the plastic protective under the car!!!! [}:)]

I'm sure this guy was trying to meet his quota [:(!] [}:)]

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
It is breathtaking the quality of drivers here.
No one told people here to stop using mobile phones when driving, and as a double whammy the phone users can often be found changing lanes without looking or indicating, and that includes driving in front of oncoming traffic. Oh, and seat belts are optional.

And the police? well they are busy setting up the f**king speed cameras to prevent speeding on completely safe roads.

For chrissake vote Labour out. Road policy, war policy, tax policy, What Policy?? Prescott for PM?

I could go on...if only the conservatives were a credible alternative.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
greendestiny - 3/31/2005 1:16 PM

That is a good question because I prefer to drive mine with the daytime lights on. I noticed that it simply turns on the xenon headlights all the time. My lexus daytime lights are actually just the high beams dimmed. I hope they don't burn out too soon. How much would it cost to replace the bulbs?

Anyone have leveling issues with their xenons? My passenger one seems to be higher all the time. And its not because I'm seated on the driver side. I've tried starting the car in the passenger seat and same thing...
They have a pattern. Drive up to a white wall about 5-10 feet away and you will see it. Both right and left have it. The reason is to not blind on coming trafic

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
Some time ago I read in the M-B magazine that after some years zenon lights get weaker and will need to be replaced, but it depends on how much you use it.
EDD11Y

1 - 13 of 13 Posts