Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380 SE
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the 380SE has been on an ok pattern, drive a while, occasionaly stall, ect. But now it got worse, instead of starting within a minute, it took five, and now, will not at all. Turns over and sputters alittle. Put in new rotor and cap, ran fine. Put in a fuel distributer kit, and it drove for 10 blocks and died, didnt come back. Put old kit back in, and still nothing. It seems to be a fuel pressure problem, gas comes out of vacume from pressure dampener, but could be electrical, seat belt buzzer and light dim when reved. I realy cant figure this out. I think I need another pressure dampener, but not shure. Is there a good test to do to figure this out?! By the way it is high idle, when it runs. All help is greatly appreceated.

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
knowing my expertise in mbz engines, yeah right[:p], if i were in your shoes, i would take the car in for a major tune up by a certified mbz technician that knows these engines well. when was the last time you had the car serviced? good luck with it all!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Blue420 is right as it needs some work.

Welcome to the world of the w126 and the crappy 380 engine![:)] Like I said people in previous post "w126 vs w140"...."a w126 will leave you stranded while a w140 will leave you with a gadget not working"

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
INdeed, and this one seems to be suffering from a Rash of problems!! Get to a shop that has proper gauges and test equipment.. At the rate your going you'll have the whole fuel system replaced and still not know what's wrong!

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 380 SE
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I would like to do, but the cost of going there! Oh yeah, the nearest shop is 150 miles away...the car doesnt start. Thanks for the support though

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Make sure your using premium fuel. Beleave it or not it makes a big difference. Won't fix it but it may get you running.

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Speaking of fuel you checked/replaced the strainer and filter, right?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
First to BOL, with all due respect the M116 is not a ‘crappy’ engine – granted it’s not the most powerful of the MB V8s but if properly cared for it can provide reliable service. It has all the same parts, design, and fuel injection system as the other engines.

There are some simple, relatively inexpensive things you can try first. As noted above you can replace the fuel filter. Then check the fuel pump relay and fuel pump. There could also be a problem with the fuel pump check valve.

For the high idle try cleaning the idle control valve.

·
Registered
Eurospec 1985 500SEL
57 Posts
I had the same problem just a little while ago. It could be that you overheated the engine or that there might've been some water in the fuel. If it's stalling and sputtering it means that your engine isn't getting enough gas. I'd change the fuel pump (it's right below the filter). I paid $244 CDN to replace it and now the car runs like new.

Other symptoms you should look out for include rough idling, the economy needle sitting in the middle of the gauge without stepping on the gas, and hesitant pick up from idle to about 2000rpm.

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
I would first check the plugs for fouling to see if it is burning oil. Next, it sound like your running rich. Turn it down a little (counter clockwise) and if it starts keep turning it until it runs perfect. Remember, turn 1/4 turn only at a time.
Lastly, like the previous post, it could be the fuel pump.

I had the same symptoms.

·
Registered
1985 380 SE
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the imput!
Found at least part. The fuel pump relay wasnt holding, took it appart and coil doesnt always hold. But it some times works, is there a system before the relay that is messed up, or is it just the relay?
Thanks again

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
No, it sounds like your relay is on its way out, you can test it by jumping terminals 30 to 87, the car should start right up; some have had success soldering the cracked relay terminals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts