·
Registered
sl600
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So fresh tires
Slight oil leak at the main seal, add quart after 1000 miles
Srs light since I replaced the key
Intercooler pump unplug (btw I be won't drag racing there)
Can the v12 handle 120 degree desert temps

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,212 Posts
I'm a huge fan of ABC, and it is the reason I choose to drive an R230 instead of an R129. Still, though it may be completely unfounded, I would be very slightly nervous making a 3000-mile journey for concern that a hose or o-ring in the system may let go and spring a leak.

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,522 Posts
This is the stuff adventure is made of. With reasonably fresh radiator hoses, go for it. Maybe map out some decent MB shops beforehand.

·
Registered
Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
382 Posts
What's the point of owning a luxury cruiser, if you're afraid to drive it on a long summer trip?

I just got back from driving mine 1200 miles from San Francisco, to Las Vegas an back. The average temp, once I got out of the Bay Area was 105°F. In Las Vegas and surrounding areas it got up to 112°F.

I used the AC all the way there and back and on the side trips, and not once did the coolant temp needle go near 100°.

So take it out and enjoy it, or leave it home as a garage queen.

·
Registered
W163 ML320, W220 S500, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
628 Posts
My 2004 SL600 had a intercooler hose begin to leak a little coolant so I had every single coolant hose on the car replaced with new ones. Of course all new coolant at that time as well. I wouldn't hesitate to take the car anywhere. However, since i bought it from a guy in Arizona who always kept it garaged, and since I have other cars for other weather, I never take the SL600 out in the rain. With 700HP (renntech ECU and other mods, ) I think it would be kinda hard to drive in the rain. Not impossible, but since the car has rarely seen rain, I figure I got other cars for rainy weathers.

·
Registered
sl600
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2004 SL600 had a intercooler hose begin to leak a little coolant so I had every single coolant hose on the car replaced with new ones. Of course all new coolant at that time as well. I wouldn't hesitate to take the car anywhere. However, since i bought it from a guy in Arizona who always kept it garaged, and since I have other cars for other weather, I never take the SL600 out in the rain. With 700HP (renntech ECU and other mods, ) I think it would be kinda hard to drive in the rain. Not impossible, but since the car has rarely seen rain, I figure I got other cars for rainy weathers.
Did you use all oem hoses or regular universal coolant hoses, also I'm not sure if I asked you this already but did you do all the performance mods yourself or previous owner, (like do send in your ecu to renntech and tell them what physical mods you done to the car or a flash tune) or had the car at thier shop.

Yeah I'm hesitant, but life is about risks, it was a risk to buy the car to begin with but so far it been a joy. But it will suck if the car have some issue thats make it undriveable, and have to call a tow truck for a 1000 mile tow. Or nearest dealership.

But if I take it im bringing all spare fluids, a temporary hydraulic hose repair kit, tools, obviously donut tire, batteries. And other things. And get the car inspected and sorted, thats what I been doing for the last couple of weeks.

But one of the biggest downsides its just two seats.

·
Registered
SL600 2004
27 Posts
There is always a risk of unexpected termination of any car trip. Just have your car inspected prior to the ride and go for it. If its hot, check radiators and have them cleaned.
I made 2 trips with my SL600, each 4000 miles long, no issues whatsoever. No signs of any cooling issues (though i had new radiator and cooling fan as engine wash killed original ones).

·
Registered
W163 ML320, W220 S500, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
628 Posts
All my hoses are factory issue, which for the intercooler system I believe those are very hard to obtain these days, had to be ordered from Germany... thus waiting several weeks, and wondering all that time whether they would be available at all. For the intercooler system I really don't think you can just buy any hose because they are molded into their specific shapes. Original hoses lasted 15 years, and only one had a small leak, but I figured with a car like this I want it perfect and good for a very long time! The ECU I removed earlier this year and sent to Kleemann for their tune, they had a special offering going on for around $600 and I thought Oh boy... and when they received the ECU they advised me that the RennTech people had software previously installed on the ECU and that they could wipe it clean and install their software but they had very strong doubts that I would feel I had spent my money wisely, saying that it "should be ridiculously powerful already"... . So I contacted the previous owner and asked if he knew anything about it. He said Yes, he had in fact had the RennTech people do their tune on the ECU, and also he had replaced the intercooler pump with the uipdated version that pumps twice the volume, netting in about a 35HP gain. So, starting with 493HP factory, adding about 125HP with the ECU tune and 35 more from intercooler pump, now I should expect approximately 653HP. Then, I took the car to a pro exhaust shop and removed the rear mufflers and welded in pipes and expect around 25HP increase, for a total of about 678HP. I have been tempted to take the car to a dyno to learn exactly how much power this car has got, it really is incredible and unique. That said, I haven't taken the car on any trips, really only drive it around town here. I should plan a trip soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts