Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
ML55, E320
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone knows whether, if I write to the correct person, MB will continue to cover the items that have been fixed several times under warranty?

My warranty just ran out. I've had my $2000 lighted running boards replaced and fixed three times. I've had the driver's side rear seat release fixed four times. Clearly, there's a design flaw in these items or they wouldn't keep breaking over and over. I just don't want to pay for the repairs every time they break from now until I dump this car - which may be very soon anyway.

·
Registered
'01 ML55
972 Posts
AdamNelson - 2/26/2005 4:17 PM

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether, if I write to the correct person, MB will continue to cover the items that have been fixed several times under warranty?

My warranty just ran out. I've had my $2000 lighted running boards replaced and fixed three times. I've had the driver's side rear seat release fixed four times. Clearly, there's a design flaw in these items or they wouldn't keep breaking over and over. I just don't want to pay for the repairs every time they break from now until I dump this car - which may be very soon anyway.
Well I can tell you that MB Canada, won't repair widow switches that have been repaired under warranty.
What is more MB Canada does not even recognize the TSB's etc that are issued by MB USA. MB CAnada says that they are two seperate companies, ....even though the W163 is built in the USA...........

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts

Adam,
I had rear struts go bad within 2 years. AFTER warranty expired.

I sat down with my SA, brought some starbucks coffee and cookies over, and explained the situation.

He goodwilled the repair.

Then again, this is my 6th MB from the same dealer. That may have helped...And I know the SA for now 10 years... That also probably helps...

But a little kindness and developing a good relationship with SA is the key...

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Do not believe that there is a design problem. I do believe that your dealer did not do a correct repair.
Why are you so concerned about something that is not broken yet. From your other posts you seem to have more and different problem than anyone else here. Could it be that you enjoy whining??

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Do not believe that there is a design problem. I do believe that your dealer did not do a correct repair.
Why are you so concerned about something that is not broken yet. From your other posts you seem to have more and different problem than anyone else here. Could it be that you enjoy whining??

·
Registered
2,675 Posts

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
sosh - 2/27/2005 12:58 PM

I think you made your point.

[:)]

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts

I asked about paying to extend Starmark coverage on my ML while it was still under warranty and was told that only the original buyer could extend the coverage at the time of original purchase.

Of course you can get an aftermarket "warranty" plan on any vehicle.

·
Registered
ML55, E320
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there's not a design problem with the ML, why did the dealer (R&S in Fort Washington) have to fix the running board light once, then retrofit the redesigned running boards, then fix the lights in the new ones, then I went to Keenan in Doylestown, who fixed the lights in the new ones again. And now I have to go back up there because they're flickering. How can you say that's *not* a design problem? Or did both dealers not repair them correctly five or six times?

Similar situation for the rear seat release. It's broken four times and been in the shop (R&S) seven times (and Keenan once) to fix it! The SA finally told me that the dealer installed MB video entertainment system interferes with the release cable, so it's just going to keep popping the cable off every now and then. The only solution they offered was that I should remove the MB VCR!! Wouldn't you call it a design flaw that the official MB accessory repeatedly breaks the vehicle?!

These are just two examples. My ML has had over 30 repairs in 3 years and 50k miles. That's pathetic.

And no, I don't enjoy whining per se. I speak very highly of my old ES300 (1 repair in four years). I loved my Grand Cherokee (2 repairs in two years). My Eddie Bauer Explorer had a bit of a "trucky" ride for my taste but it was big and comfortable (1 repair in three years). My 3000GT VR4 was incredible fun to drive (1 repair in four years). My MR2 was like a totally reliable slot car (1 repair in 6 years). The MGB was a fun fair weather car (4 repairs in three years). I whine about my MBs because I've owned so many other, much more reliable, cars. Every one, even the MGB, was more reliable than either of my Benzes, for a fraction of the cost. That's why I "whine."

A relative who has a Viper and a Gallardo says "You wouldn't kick your super-model girlfriend out if she broke down now and then would you?" He's right. If I had a Lambo or a Viper, or a Mercedes SLR or GTR or something, I wouldn't expect daily driver reliability, but I own normal production Mercedes vehicles, not exotic V10 sportscars. My 2 1/2 ton ML does 0-60 in 6 seconds and still gets 20 mpg on the highway. That's a feat of engineering. They should certainly be able to make the electronics and simple accessories work reliably without monthly trips to the dealership.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts