Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'09 E350 4-matic sport, '83 240D 4-speed (sold), '77/'78 450SLC (junked), '81 500SLC (junked)
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today was going to be the day I fork over almost $1000 to Performance Products in tool rental (Klann + ball joint press) but they're all rented out. Last time I called they didn't make that seem like it was ever a problem. That completely ruins my whole weekend. I've traced down so many leads from people saying "yeah, my friend works on mercedes and he has EVERYTHING. He has one for sure." only to be told "yeah, I did the springs once with this crappy tool but I don't mess with them anymore". I'm sick of tilting at windmills in search of the elusive Klanderbeast.

So I'm going to buy the knockoff tool but I've heard it sometimes gets stuck and you have to file down some metal on the car. That doesn't sound like a true Klann-clone experience. Plus, it means I can't do the work this weekend as I'd planned and I don't know when I will have the chance again. It also means having to help my girlfriend move with my car with its out of whack alignment and new tires. I'm not a happy camper.

Why didn't I rent it earlier? That's my bosses fault. She keeps paying me 2 weeks late. Anyone looking to hire a physicist?

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Well, today was going to be the day I fork over almost $1000 to Performance Products in tool rental (Klann + ball joint press) but they're all rented out. Last time I called they didn't make that seem like it was ever a problem. That completely ruins my whole weekend. I've traced down so many leads from people saying "yeah, my friend works on mercedes and he has EVERYTHING. He has one for sure." only to be told "yeah, I did the springs once with this crappy tool but I don't mess with them anymore". I'm sick of tilting at windmills in search of the elusive Klanderbeast.

So I'm going to buy the knockoff tool but I've heard it sometimes gets stuck and you have to file down some metal on the car. That doesn't sound like a true Klann-clone experience. Plus, it means I can't do the work this weekend as I'd planned and I don't know when I will have the chance again. It also means having to help my girlfriend move with my car with its out of whack alignment and new tires. I'm not a happy camper.

Why didn't I rent it earlier? That's my bosses fault. She keeps paying me 2 weeks late. Anyone looking to hire a physicist?
There are only a handful of things you need the spring compressor for. The Klann clone was built for the W126 and applies equally well to the W123 if you hone out the hole. No big deal, I believe even the true Klann that is still sold has this problem as well. The only things you need a spring compressor for are the springs, LCA bearing, strut rod LCA bushing. So unless you are doing one of those three its not needed.

·
Registered
'09 E350 4-matic sport, '83 240D 4-speed (sold), '77/'78 450SLC (junked), '81 500SLC (junked)
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the Klann was made for the 126, what are you supposed to use for the 123? Like I said, I'm buying the knockoff compressor anyway, I just don't know when I'll have another chance to use it. That was just an irritating start to the day.

I'm replacing all of those things and more....

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,972 Posts
The clone spring compressor works for the 126 & 123 models..;-) JUst don't get the ones split type ones for japanese ones...

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
$1000 just to rent the tools from Performance?!!!! You could be BUY the proper tools for that amount...

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo CA emissions
44 Posts
The compressor Performance Products rents is made by Sir Tools. It costs $80.00 to rent for 21 days (there's a refundable deposit of around $700.00). And you still have to file the holes in the body of the car to get it to fit.

Also, when I called to rent the ball joint press, the salesman checked the computer and said they didn't have it. I called a couple days later (on a Saturday) and a different guy got up and looked in the warehouse and told me they had it. I drove over to pick it up, and when the counter guy checked for it on the computer it said they didn't have it. Turns out it had been there all along, but had been improperly entered into the system when last returned. So you might want to check back with them to see if the tool you want is physically (though not virtually) there or if someone has returned it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$1000 just to rent the tools from Performance?!!!! You could be BUY the proper tools for that amount...
Well, most of that was in deposits... I'm buying the $200 deal, so if anyone needs to borrow in the future, it'll be here. Turns out there is a place in LA that sells them after all--Kinetik tools in the City of Industry...

·
Registered
1983 240D in pieces 1977 280SE awaiting euro 280 transplant 1990 Audi 200 1995 Audi S6 avant
170 Posts
If you have the tools, or know somebody that does, you could make some....just be smart and careful. also not shown in the picture I welded the three nuts together that you turn to compress, one will just strip, three worked nice

Attachments

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Use an external spring compressor like that at your own risk. It is not recommended for Mercedes springs and you can end up killing yourself using one of those no matter how careful you are.

Len

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Ya no way I would recommend anything but a klann, your life isn't worth it. I dont know that I even trust the klanns that much. Its a hairy experience period.

·
Registered
1983 240D in pieces 1977 280SE awaiting euro 280 transplant 1990 Audi 200 1995 Audi S6 avant
170 Posts
Those were coated with rubber and exhibited absolutely no signs of slippage.I was extremely careful at first, but after seeing them at work,I felt confident in the shoddy design.If you're scared don't try them, but if you are ready to kill it might be a better solution.BTDT, they work, and I trust them alot more than the budget compressers I've used for other applications, and yes I did use my impact wrench with them.As with anything if you pay attention to what you are doing, you should be able tell if you are about to die, just keep your eyes open.
These "wings" don't slip at all and if somehow they did the threaded rod is still on the inside of the spring, so the worst that could happen is the spring would tweak to one side, but that is still not possible.

·
Registered
01 CLK55 & 00 ML55
863 Posts
FYI, I just purchased one of the ebay klann knock off ones and plan to keep it and rent it out for a good rate to forum members. I haven't decided how to do deposits and shipping yet, but will decide soon. PM me if interested. Hopefully I'll have it by early next week.

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
not really sure what youre trying to do but I replaced EVERY - EVERY!!! component to my front suspension on my w123 and the only special tool I needed to use was a shop press for the ball joints, which my grandpa had..

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
not really sure what youre trying to do but I replaced EVERY - EVERY!!! component to my front suspension on my w123 and the only special tool I needed to use was a shop press for the ball joints, which my grandpa had..
You can do that with rental tools from the local parts store. You need a Klann or knockoff spring compressor for the springs.

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
You can do that with rental tools from the local parts store. You need a Klann or knockoff spring compressor for the springs.
I didn't use a spring compressor - I just disconnected everything (the shock last) with the jack underneath - then i slowly lowered the jack and there ya go eh - the spring comes right out - I Did it like that on mine and I also replaced the upper/lower ball joints and tie rods on my buddies by doing it the same way

1 - 17 of 17 Posts