Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
560/sel/sec/Jag XJS
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...we've had our 20+yr old Benzo's for a while now.
Was wondering....
Exactly when did you ask yourself..."Wonder if that air-bag will work when I need it most...& how would I find out???"
You have asked that question....?...right?

Did you just put it out of your mind..?..or solve it?

:D :D :D

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320 with 351,000 miles
1,737 Posts
The tough thing is that airbag components are often the most expensive things you can buy for your Benz. Unfortunately that means that in a small fender bender, if the car's physical damage isn't that bad, but the airbag deployed, you're highly likely to have the insurance company total your baby.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
I'm actually worried that it will deploy.

Early airbags kicks like a mule.

Seriously, airbags are part of the SRS, Supplemental Restraint Systems, with emphasis on Supplemental.

Use your seatbelt and the airbag is largely redundant.

However, another part of the SRS system, the pre-tensioning system that tightens up you seatbelt during an impact, is very effective and I'm more worried about that part of the system malfunctioning.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,950 Posts
I agree with Axel. I have a feeling the airbag will cause more damage than good. I just hope it doen't go of for no reason.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
Michael Pillay said:
I agree with Axel. I have a feeling the airbag will cause more damage than good. I just hope it doen't go of for no reason.

ditto

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
janos_z said:
Sometimes on long flat streches of road I drive with my palms flat on the centre of the wheel. My mate always says, "If the bag deployed you'd be screwed" kind of makes you wounder what would happen to my glasses on my face when the bag deploys. Ouch.

·
Registered
560/sel/sec/Jag XJS
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW.. !!!.. The reply's are far from what I was expecting.Good points & things I never gave a second thought too..(Glad I asked).
I thought it was a given about enhanced safety in regards to air-bags...I now see its far from settled.I can understand disconnecting the passenger side if a kid uses it on a regular basis & the point of "OLD TECTNOLOGY"is a great point.
I saw a sticker somewhere that warned of the pressure can may not work when needed if its old.That was my reasoning about posting this...but after the info:...I'am no longer worried & if it works it works.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
There is usually a 15 year lifespan on the airbags - and usually a sticker note to say which year the airbag should be renewed.

Personally I don't like them.

talbir

·
Registered
560/sel/sec/Jag XJS
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
talbir said:
There is usually a 15 year lifespan on the airbags - and usually a sticker note to say which year the airbag should be renewed.

Personally I don't like them.

talbir
Well Talbir....If your willing to put your butt up for grabs...so am I.

"We don't need no stinking air-bags"

:D :D

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
I've trawled a lot of junkyards over the last couple of months and looked at several dozens of wrecked W126s. From my observation, the airbags on a great majority of these didn't deploy even when there was evidence of damage that would have been consistent with forces generally associated with exceeding the airbag deployment threshold.

So I'd say that you can drive under the assumption that your airbag more than likely will not deploy in case of an accident. I agree that use of a primary restraining device aka seatbelts is the most effective and useful safety feature you can employ. On that token, having an airbag and belt tensioner gets you a better insurance rate - I'm not sure how the failure to have them maintained at scheduled intervals affects your coverage in case of an accident.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,245 Posts
MBZER said:
So...we've had our 20+yr old Benzo's for a while now.
Was wondering....
Exactly when did you ask yourself..."Wonder if that air-bag will work when I need it most...& how would I find out???"
You have asked that question....?...right?

Did you just put it out of your mind..?..or solve it?

:D :D :D
'Beeeeezer...
There are probably some members that would prefer yours did not work:D

·
Registered
89' 300SE 80' 240D
616 Posts
Ears said:
'Beeeeezer...
There are probably some members that would prefer yours did not work:D

LoL thats cold

·
Registered
1986 300SDL 311,500
287 Posts
My air bag light doesn't even come on when I turn the switch on so I'm guessing it won't fire.

Either that or the bulb's out.

I'm not too worried... I"m driving a tank and I"m always buckled up, so I figure I'll be just as well off or better off if it doesn't go off.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
I was hit on the front driver side damaged the strunt (bended). But the airbag did not deploy. So I doubt it would from now on. Maybe it'd only work on front collision?

·
Registered
Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
1,296 Posts
i don't even have a horn on my steering wheel, let alone an airbag...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts