Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a "new" car. looking at a mint 2000 c230k with 51k miles on it...wondering how these perform. do they feel sporty and handle well or will it need some bilsteins etc etc? i don't expect it to run or handle like a boxster but do want something with so shit and git. c230k owners give me some advice on what these are like please!! don't want to drive 300 miles for nothing.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
It depends on what size engine you are used to. I find them a little slow and the Kompressor engine a tad noisey.

·
Registered
95 C220
1,362 Posts
i would get a c43 or e55 if i were you... if you're looking for a laid back ride then its a good one... if you're looking for performance, a little more money to spend on it would make it feel you...

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I am happy with my C280 (V6) which is a totally different experience (quiet, smooth power delivery and comparatively refined).

The C230 Kompressor (inline 4-cylinder) is noisier, rougher in it's power delivery and quite nippy around town.

I raced my brother (who owns a 1999 C230 Kompressor) and he was pretty quick up to about 60mph but at higher speeds the C230 Kompressor appears to lose puff and then the V6 C280 really starts to show it's depth and character.

I read a few articles before making my decision.

Here they are:

2000 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Review, Prices, Photos: New Car Test Drive

1999 Mercedes-Benz C230 Test Drive Review

Mercedes-Benz C230 (1999)

Good luck with your decision.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
^Correct the C230K is more of a city car and not really a cruiser.

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
^Correct the C230K is more of a city car and not really a cruiser.
I respectfully disagree. I just completed a 5,200 mile round trip in my c230 Kompressor and she was a flawless tourer. I have had more cylinders in all of my previous cars (34 cylinders to date in fact) but downsized when gas shot up to $5 a gallon in coastal areas near LA. The Supercharger is fun and gives you what you need for any reasonable driving. The c280 is generally regarded as the more refined businessman's sporting sedan or young parent's daily driver while the c230 is for the weekend track racer who wants a little adrenaline pumped into his daily commute. I honestly felt like it took me two weeks of ownership to "tame" this car. The brakes and throttle are touchy at first but you will learn to appreciate those as attributes. I drove many examples of both and picked the c230 because of it's personality. It really depends on what you're after.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my daily driver was a '93 buick century, but it is going to the junkyard. I expected the c230k to be faster than an 8.1 second car. c43 is out of the question due to the combination of price and insurance i would rather have a mustang gt, There's a c280 near me that is mint that might be an option, also looking at a ford lightning and bmw z3...

·
Registered
2000 Mecedes-Benz C230
30 Posts
I purchased one earlier last year(2000 c230 sport 105,000 miles) and i wish i did'nt. It's been nothing but problems maf spark plugs, fuel injector replacement, a/c doesn't work neither do the back windows. Car was great for first 5 month's then went to shit. I understand that M-B used a lot of shitty chinese parts in this car (mainly computer parts) and I'm starting to believe it plus I also hear that disconnecting the battery is a major nightmare. I'm planning to fix this car and get rid of it. Granted your car has less miles but I would thoroughly check car out before buying.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased one earlier last year(2000 c230 sport 105,000 miles) and i wish i did'nt. It's been nothing but problems maf spark plugs, fuel injector replacement, a/c doesn't work neither do the back windows. Car was great for first 5 month's then went to shit. I understand that M-B used a lot of shitty chinese parts in this car (mainly computer parts) and I'm starting to believe it plus I also hear that disconnecting the battery is a major nightmare. I'm planning to fix this car and get rid of it. Granted your car has less miles but I would thoroughly check car out before buying.
Why did you replace the injectors? I thought the c230 was supposed to be bullet proof?? that's one reason i'm still leaning towards it..I had kind of drifted off MB looking at some Mustang Gt's and nearly bought an '01 Audi A4 1.8T. whatever i buy will be mint and have a PPI. I have MB fever now:D and with gas supposedly going up to $5 again a C class looks appealing.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Did you check yours out pre purchase? It must have been neglected for a while or really abused recently for all that to just pop up. Mine has 177,000 miles and is the most reliable car I've owned in 20 years of driving. How much are you going to sell it for?

·
5,048 Posts
Plus disconnecting the battery doesn't do anything bad. At worst you'd have to enter a radio code and maybe re-sync your remotes. Really! Where are you getting your information from?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would get a c43 or e55 if i were you... if you're looking for a laid back ride then its a good one... if you're looking for performance, a little more money to spend on it would make it feel you...
I've looked at them and wasn't impressed. I paid $14k for my boxster with 15k miles on it and it destroys the c43 and e55 in my mind. Plus i'm not tight on money but tight with my money:D. I only use the truck for towing and the Durango for hauling people. It's funny the century has 160hp is pretty fun when you stop on it. I was really close to tinting it and putting rims on it until the trans died. just looking for a reliable cheap 4cyl/6cyl for when gas jumps up. I plan on sporting it out quite a bit too:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes C230 Kompressor
120 Posts
I got 134,000miles on mine, and I love it. Fast enough to murk your local Ricers in town, sexy enough to pull the ladies, and classy enough to make people turn their heads. Throw a nice exhaust/muffler, lose the spare tire, get some rims and a drop (drop on monday, yay!) and you got a lean mean street machine.

·
Registered
2000 Mecedes-Benz C230
30 Posts
I replaced the number 2 injector it was stuck open. As for the other ill's the car had, when I test drove it it was fine everything worked excepth the back windows which still don't work but after removing the door skins the motors were unplugged. I probably did not do enough homework on this car but it was cheap and looked great. My main reson for not recommending this car is that it is not easy for a diyer to diagnose problems and shop time around here is at a premium 65 to 100 per hour. I also recently purchased a BMW 530i 2001 which granted is not the same type car but is so far and away superior to my M-B. Plus I also test drove many 3 series cars and have found them to be superior to this particullar model. I will say that before all my problems the car drove great and got very good gas milage. I also find it to be good in snow with new all seasons. It's pretty quick and I like the design but I have to be honest this will be the only c230 I will ever own.

·
Registered
2000 Mecedes-Benz C230
30 Posts
By the way everybody from local autoshops to the dealers themselves have said don't diconnect the battery. My first experience with M-B so I don't know anything about these cars other than what others tell me.

·
5,048 Posts
These are the easiest DIY cars I've ever worked on. The only thing you have to worry about when disconnecting the battery is closing the trunk while it's disconnected. When are you selling your 230 and how much?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sban226;4529135. said:
I also recently purchased a BMW 530i 2001 which granted is not the same type car but is so far and away superior to my M-B. Plus I also test drove many 3 series cars and have found them to be superior to this particullar model. I will say that before all my problems the car drove great and got very good gas milage. I also find it to be good in snow with new all seasons. It's pretty quick and I like the design but I have to be honest this will be the only c230 I will ever own.
Ya I'M Looking at a '98 C230 and a '00 323i. both slow small german sedans...but the 323i is newer and personally looks way newer.i'm a real slow car shopper so we'll see how it goes..

·
Registered
2000 Mecedes-Benz C230
30 Posts
Since I still have problems with car I don't know what I would ask for it but probably around $5000 when fixed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts