Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a C300 4matic loaner while my car is in the shop. I need to fill it up before returning it. Will cheap mid-grade gas work? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Just another example of how loaner cars get abused....

·
Registered
95 Posts
It'll work, thanks to anti knock control, but fuel consumption will be higher and the engine will be less powerful, because of retarded spark advance.

Pierre

I have a C300 4matic loaner while my car is in the shop. I need to fill it up before returning it. Will cheap mid-grade gas work? Thanks!

·
Registered
B200T 2007, C300 4matic 2009
65 Posts
How would you feel if your car shop fill up your car with cheap gas....:rolleyes:
If you can't afford why don't you purchase a Yaris...gee

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Yep, driven like it's rented.:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Even on rental Benzes, I went for Premium!

Shame on you for trying to save maybe 5% off the total cost of gasoline! May you lose 20% in performance AND mileage!

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"It's not going to hurt anything," said Peter Gregori, service manager for EuroMotorcars, a Mercedes-Benz dealer in Bethesda. In fact, Gregori has been using regular gas in one of his own Mercedes cars for two years, and "it's perfect," he said -- even though Mercedes-Benz says owners should use only premium.

Prices Fuel a Rebellion

·
Registered
'15 C400, Formerly '11 C350 - Formerly '08 C300
137 Posts
"It's not going to hurt anything," said Peter Gregori, service manager for EuroMotorcars, a Mercedes-Benz dealer in Bethesda. In fact, Gregori has been using regular gas in one of his own Mercedes cars for two years, and "it's perfect," he said -- even though Mercedes-Benz says owners should use only premium.
I wonder what his colleagues in Germantown are saying

Anyways, as of this post, most of the name brand dealers in my area are selling 93 for around 4.50 a gallon. Independents, about 4. Only Sunoco has 91. It's a matter of a few dollars.. cup 'o gourmet coffee, a happy meal, a pack of smokes ... I'll stay with the premium grades.. I fill up twice a month, the difference will get me a movie ticket and popcorn at the end of the year :)

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I wonder what his colleagues in Germantown are saying

Anyways, as of this post, most of the name brand dealers in my area are selling 93 for around 4.50 a gallon. Independents, about 4. Only Sunoco has 91. It's a matter of a few dollars.. cup 'o gourmet coffee, a happy meal, a pack of smokes ... I'll stay with the premium grades.. I fill up twice a month, the difference will get me a movie ticket and popcorn at the end of the year :)
Certainly premium for our own personal cars at least....

·
Registered
'15 C400, Formerly '11 C350 - Formerly '08 C300
137 Posts
Certainly premium for our own personal cars at least....
Definitely premium - the price difference between 89 and 93 is about 2 or 3 bucks a tankful times 24 tanks that's 72$ a year, I can live with the difference. Same goes for a loaner even if the last 100 customers put 87 in it, someone has to appreciate the car :) And I won't be driving 10 miles to save 2$ either :D What's that saying? Pennywise and poundfoolish? Does that apply here?

·
Registered
08 C230 4M , 99 E320 4M
101 Posts

Prices Fuel a Rebellion
BEING A SERVICE MANAGER , HE SHOULD NOT EVEN SAID THAT UNLESS HE DOENT KNOW HIS PRODUCT

·
Registered
49 Posts
Considering that these cars have 11.3:1 compression ratios it would not be advised to run the cheap stuff. It would run but it would run very poorly, low power, poor milage. Then you'll be upset that you are getting poor milage. If it were a carbed motor it would be bording on pump gas friendly.

In short use the good stuff.

·
Registered
E350 2007; C300 2009; C300 2013
19 Posts
OK, maybe I'd never switch from Premium to the Regular grade since the price difference per gallon is not huge, BUT, come on guys, it is Marketing! It is no other than MBUSA who, I am sure, is asking a "Sercive Manager" to quote whatever he's quoted above. In this bad economy, he'd know his job would be on the line for speaking loosely to the Press!! I imagine this person has a few years with MBUSA and has been willing to make that quote. After all, MB definitely wants to swing those people in favor of buying an MB, who are on the fence due to the higher pricing of the Premium gas for their daily commute. They know that not everyone has short commutes and some calculate to this extreme........
:p

·
Registered
2008 C350
11 Posts
This is toooooooo funny. People trying to cheap out to save a few bucks. Come on, spend $5 extra on a fill up.

·
Registered
C220 CDI with OPTIONS!
28 Posts
I am by far no expert in these matters, but I know that there's a few reasons why they recommend High Octane fuel:

1. European "regular" is 95 RON (98/99 RON for Premium, and 100 RON for Shell V* series fuels) and that's what the engines were designed for.
2. Higher Octane is the fuel's resistance to autoignition - i.e. knocking
3. By chance, most premium fuels offer a greater MJ/litre and tend to be "cleaner"

So what does all this lead to? MB, BMW, AUDI, etc will always recommend Premium Fuels because :

1. That's what they designed the engines to run on
2. It ensures the engine runs quieter and smoother
3. higher quality fuels tend to have less contaminants and thus extends the serviceable life of the engine.

So, can you run on 87? Sure!
Would you? Not if you care about that engine.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Even on rental Benzes, I went for Premium!

Shame on you for trying to save maybe 5% off the total cost of gasoline! May you lose 20% in performance AND mileage!
I agree, but some don't treat loaners and rentals as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts