Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1994 Mercedes e320 that used to have a surging idle/loss of power on acceleration problem that I had been "attempting" to fix. I say attempting because I was getting nowhere except to determine that I did have the updated wiring harness. Suddenly, out of the blue, and for no reason that I could determine, the car started running perfectly and ran this way for well over a year.

I had been getting excellent help on the forum, but I've decided to start a new post since so much water has gone under the bridge that I'd like to start out fresh and from a new angle.

I'm planning on focusing on the diagnostic codes (I have several) and was wondering if it is worth it to build the code reader that plugs into the module to give advanced codes. I have the 16 pin obd1 error code module.

Using the push button on the module I get the basic led flash codes. My codes are :

23 -intake manifold pressure (in base module pressure sensor- B5/2) with engine too low/high
26 -Upshift delay defective
6 -Idle speed control inoperative
3 -Lambda control inoperative

I'm assuming that some of these faults are related to each other. Would the advance reader help me sort things out or just cloud the issue?

Thanks for any advice. I've been having a bad year things being broken down and I'm getting behind on tying up my forum post. It seems like this car is going to be an all summer project.

Take care.
Tim

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Unfortunately an obd reader will not help.
You have 94, so you have a blinker box to help. #26 is ...well just ignore it. It's a quirk of these cars. Might be an O2 sensor based on the two other codes. Where are you located in pa? I'm in Montgomery county and will have a parts that could help soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately an obd reader will not help.
You have 94, so you have a blinker box to help. #26 is ...well just ignore it. It's a quirk of these cars. Might be an O2 sensor based on the two other codes. Where are you located in pa? I'm in Montgomery county and will have a parts that could help soon.
Thanks for the reply humblejoe,

I was under the impression that you could build a more advanced reader made from a led, a resistor, a switch and three banana plugs that would give more specific codes. I don't really see anyone on the forum using this so I'm probably wrong in my thinking. I was hoping that I might be able to get some sort of more advanced code that would might break down the codes more definite readings .

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the o2 sensor is bad. I'm still driving the car around town and I'm probably doing all sorts of bad things to the exhaust system.

Thanks again humblejoe. You always give good advice.

Regards,
Tim

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
#6 code is usually bad throttle body (it also has eco junk wiring unless it was manufacturer 1998 or later) and/or defective ISC/CC module (usually a victim of the eco junk wiring bug)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
#6 code is usually bad throttle body (it also has eco junk wiring unless it was manufacturer 1998 or later) and/or defective ISC/CC module (usually a victim of the eco junk wiring bug)
Thank you sbaert. Would you be able to tell me where the ISC/CC module is located?

I'm pretty sure that I bumped something last year causing my 320 to fix itself. It had the classic idle surge that seems to be all over the internet. I still haven't ruled out a bad wiring harness on the throttle actuator itself, but I was nowhere near the acutator when it suddenly started working.

I was wondering if anyone has ever built and used one of the test modules that I asked about? Would it work and would it help me.

I'm still mulling over and digesting everyone's comments. I'd like to thank each one of you for your help and comments.

Regards,
Tim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the blinky LED thing lets you test the codes from other modules, like ABS.
Thank you LeftCoastGeek.

Something that I don't understand is that, apparently, I have a California emissions car with the push button and led already installed. It seems like everyone who uses the code reader has fault modules without a push button or led. Am I getting all of the detailed codes through my module already?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Advanced code reading and O2 monitoring will help in taking informed decision. You can get live-data for any MB HFM/PMS engines using HFMScan, see http://www.hfmscan.com/en/index.html. I wouldn't waste time building code reader when I can get live-data like any other OBDII car.

Alternative to HFMScan would be MB HHT/DAS/Xentry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
PhantomLord
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing