Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying new tire for 05 ML350. Since the tire brand/model that I am getting has very limited in sizes; I consider to go from OEM size 275/55-17 to 265/65/17. The diameter will increase 7.5%.

Everywhere I read, it all says that increase the diameter will reduce the gas mileage. But is also depends on the engine power bend.

Has anyone increased the tire size about this amount? What is your really world gas mileage experience?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
If city driving - yes. If highway driving - no. On trips my MPG stay around 25 vs 18-22 in town.

I'm running 265/75R16

·
Registered
449 Posts
It is worth it.

I went from the stock tires to the 265/65/17's on my 01 430. Love the ride, much better off road, and it handles better. Mileage is off a tick or two, but not bad.

Funny thing is that my speedo is now more accurate than before. Go figure.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just remember your speedometer isn't accurate

anymore, so when you calculate MPG you have to do it by hand using gps or other data. Since the mileage computer relies on the speedo, it isn't accurate.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Yes you will loose MPG's but to accurately calculate you have to add the 7.5% in when you check the milage. I have been using 285-75-16 tires that are 10% different. The ride is way better but the milage is not that good. I average about 16-17 mpg with mostly highway driving. I also have a set of rims with 255-70-16 tires and get over 20 mpg mostly highway driving... I fill up all the way and check my milage every fill up...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts