Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting for the Bluetec E class to get 4matic. I have an 07 Gas 4matic and today in NJ was the reason you need 4matic, without it would have been risking life on the NJ turnpike. Does anyone know whether it is planned for the 2010 model??

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
At this point I do not think that any info you receive on this here or elsewhere will be accurate. MB is not saying much if anything about the 2010's as of yet.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Only if MBUSA thinks it would sell.

They could have imported W211 diesels with 4Matic because they are made for other markets, but MBUSA assumed they wouldn't sell in the USA.

Given that now diesel costs more than gasoline, I bet they will still think that way.

A diesel 2WD and a diesel 4WD are two different drivetrains and that means two sessions of EPA certification for sale in the USA. The certification is very expensive and incorporates among other things an actual 50K mile road test. Sales of the vehicle then will have to cover the costs and sales of the vehicle will have to be predicted as "strong" before it's going to happen.

Don't hold your breath.

Diesel with 4Matic is of course available in ML and GL.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Only if MBUSA thinks it would sell.

They could have imported W211 diesels with 4Matic because they are made for other markets, but MBUSA assumed they wouldn't sell in the USA.
I thought I'd write that but you did it already. There are models that are not sold in Germany but you can always browse the model selection (why not options selections too) at the German site (no need to have German language skills really).
Mercedes-Benz Deutschland - Personenwagen

Anyway, the W212 will not be available as a 4-Matic initially (as always). Sales release being at about end of March next year in Europe, later on in the US, the 4-Matic may well not come before 2010 time even for Europe. Considering the likely interest of MBUSA to keep the range of models no larger than today, I would not count on a 4-Matic diesel (pure speculation though).

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
I think the US import is politically motivated.
If 6-seconds 40 mpg AWD wagons would became available in US, what idiot would buy 7 mpg clumsy Hummer, or even 20 mpg minivan?
Oil companies would lost lot of profits.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I thought I'd write that but you did it already. There are models that are not sold in Germany but you can always browse the model selection (why not options selections too) at the German site (no need to have German language skills really).
Mercedes-Benz Deutschland - Personenwagen

Anyway, the W212 will not be available as a 4-Matic initially (as always). Sales release being at about end of March next year in Europe, later on in the US, the 4-Matic may well not come before 2010 time even for Europe. Considering the likely interest of MBUSA to keep the range of models no larger than today, I would not count on a 4-Matic diesel (pure speculation though).

I have been told that with the W212 the 4Matic will be available from the onset. That is of course on Gas cars.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I have been told that with the W212 the 4Matic will be available from the onset. That is of course on Gas cars.
I guess you don't want to reveal your source for that info? Or are you referring to the US "onset"? At that time 4-Matics could well be available for Europe, both Diesel and a gasser at the same time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would love a 4matic Bluetec E320 sedan in the US, but I doubt it. Wasn't the projection 3 to 5k units sold of the Bluetec sedan in the US this year? Then figure 1/2 or 1/3 that number for 4matic you start having a really small subset.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think the US import is politically motivated.
If 6-seconds 40 mpg AWD wagons would became available in US, what idiot would buy 7 mpg clumsy Hummer, or even 20 mpg minivan?
Oil companies would lost lot of profits.
Um, please show me a 6 second to 60mph, 40 mpg (US, not imperial...and normal combined driving, not rolling down a mountain out of gear) AWD wagon, available anywhere in the world. :rolleyes:

However I do agree with you that US automakers and lawmakers so far have not had much reason to lobby for more diesels. Interesting to consider how hard the oil companies want to fight diesel though. I heard that gasoline is a byproduct of diesel production- that is, you can't make diesel without also making gasoline, in which case it would be nice as an oil producer to have a big market like the USA in which to sell all your gasoline after supplying diesel to everyone else. But I may have this backwards or it could be completely wrong/misleading, so I'll wait for someone with more knowledge to chime in here.

And here's a refresher on diesel for those who are really keen!
HowStuffWorks "How Oil Refining Works"
Diesel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Um, please show me a 6 second to 60mph, 40 mpg (US, not imperial...and normal combined driving, not rolling down a mountain out of gear) AWD wagon, available anywhere in the world. :rolleyes:
You did notice "if" in my statement, didn't you?
My 2005 sedan was averaging 49 (US) mpg at average 81 mph. I bet if I ever tried to drive it on flat freeway at 55 I could easly get in the 60 mpg range, like MB test crew did it few years ago. 4-Matic shaves about 1 mpg on gas engines, while wagon could take additonal 2-3, although Volkswagen wagons have the same highway fuel ratings what sedans do.
Didn't MB improove engines in last 10 years?

·
Registered
80 Posts
You did notice "if" in my statement, didn't you?
My 2005 sedan was averaging 49 (US) mpg at average 81 mph. I bet if I ever tried to drive it on flat freeway at 55 I could easly get in the 60 mpg range, like MB test crew did it few years ago. 4-Matic shaves about 1 mpg on gas engines, while wagon could take additonal 2-3, although Volkswagen wagons have the same highway fuel ratings what sedans do.
Didn't MB improove engines in last 10 years?
Just thought the "if" pertained to bringing them to the US, not inventing them. Still, I'm astounded to read that your 320 cdi was averaging 49 US mpg highway. I think that's under 5.0 liters per 100k, which is Mini diesel territory. Would have expected high 30s at 80mph. Well done!
Even MB's latest engines in large sedans probably aren't going to touch your 49mpg.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
From what I hear from European members the MB diesel wagons always existed and it is only US who restrict their import since 1985. Obviously 4-Matic on them is icing on the cake.
The 49 mpg at high speed never happened to me on CA roads, so hilly terain, high winds and mostly left lane blockers take the toll, but again, MB crew averaged over 60 mpg driving in US from what I remember.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts