Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
SL 500
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have an SL500 on 17 inch stock rims. I am dying to put 20 inch lorinsers LM5's, but many people have said its going to take away from the smooth ride and also that at high speeds my steering wheel wil shake. How bad does it get with 20's and would it be worth it to change the rims.

·
Registered
C 230 Sport
184 Posts
Where do you live? I wouldn't worry about the ride becuase it will look awesome. I went fr...

Where do you live? I wouldn't worry about the ride becuase it will look awesome. I went from a 16 to a 19" rim. The ride is a lil rougher but not that noticeable.

·
Registered
2009 CLS
70 Posts
Dont worry about putting 20inch lorinsers on your car. Lorinser wheels are made of good...

Dont worry about putting 20inch lorinsers on your car. Lorinser wheels are made of good quality and since your buying new you wont have any shaking at all. I wouldnt reccommend anything besides brabus, lorinser, and lowenhart. Dont slam into holes at high speeds or curb ur wheels and u should be good.

·
Registered
2000 s 430
8 Posts
sl 55 with 20's

i have a 03 sl 55 that came with 18". that was my question also but am very happy with the results. there is hardly a difference in ride comfort but it handles much better, not to mention the looks. just make sure you get good tires. the tires make a hugh difference.

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
RE: WILL 20" RIMS DESTROY SMOOTH RIDE

Nope. I've got them on my Brabus SL with Continental's. Rides great.

·
Registered
2009 CLS
70 Posts

Depends on the wheel, buy an aftermarket mercedes tuner. Ie; Brabus, Lorinser, Autocouture, and Lowenhart. Buy anything else and you'll get crap. Smooth ride depends on tire size

I would go 20x9 in front and do a 245/35/20

And a 20x11 in the rear and do a 285/30/20

That particular setup looks nice in a lowenhart BR5 or even a Lorinser LM5 if they even make 20x11

·
Registered
BMW 7
4 Posts
I AM WAITING FOR MY NEW 20s RIGHT NOW!

I just bought

LOWENHART LD5 (NOIR EDITION)
20 x 9 in the front
20 x 11 in the rear

Tires:
Continetal ContiSportContact 2
255/30/20 front and 305/25/20 rear

I had Lorinser LM-5 (not a very strong wheel, it bends easily-especially here in NJ where the roads are not good)

I saw the LD5 in person and put it next to my car (my car is Obsidian Black) and the look was unbelievable!

On the web I could only find pictures of the LDR in Noir Edition but the LD5 is a completely different look.

I will post pics as soon as I get them on, should be in about a week.

Clarence
03 SL55 AMG
03 Infiniti FX45
00 Yukon LX

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
RE: I AM WAITING FOR MY NEW 20s RIGHT NOW!

I've got the Brabus' too. They bend easily as well, but are kickarse in looks. I've got one wheel in the shop right now getting remachined from hitting a pot hole....good luck. My set up with Mich Pilot Sport A/S are 255/30/20 front 275/35/20 rear on 20x9 and 20x11.

·
Registered
'05 330i ZHP
1,036 Posts

Its not the size of the rims, its the sidewalls. If you had enough room to put wide sidewall tires on your 20 inchers, they'd be fine.

·
Registered
04 SL55 AMG
21 Posts

Here are a few pics of both wheels on the SL

http://www.wheelautohaus.com/page.php?name=wheels&itemid=000000000000438&ct=e&cma=mercedes-benz&cmo=sl-class&cha=R230

http://www.wheelautohaus.com/page.php?name=wheels&itemid=000000000000587&ct=e&cma=mercedes-benz&cmo=sl-class&cha=R230

·
Registered
S Class
39 Posts

Aviod wheels that use spacers at all costs. I believe Lorinsers use spacers that are "bolted" on to the wheel. Spacers will defintely cause "shaking" at highway speeds.

You should look for wheels that are designed for your benz and are hub-centric.

·
Registered
2003 SL500
252 Posts

I sure am having fun reading this thread.

The original question was will 20" wheels/rites ruin my ride.

The answers so far are yes, no, and who cares because they look bitchin.

Ruin? That's subjective.

Will the ride be worse, sure, it will be stiffer, shorter sidewalls, no question. It's the tires. No getting around the smaller sidewalls.

Will the wheels shake? Unless you get wheels out of true, they should be fine as long as they are properly balanced. Spacers can work fine.

The important point is radical changes in offeset will change your steering geometry, and almost always for the worse!

Ride in someone's car and see if the ride is "too much road"... If you live in a place with poor roads and lots of potholes, budget money for replacing wheels.

Good luck,

Greg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts