Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic Granite Grey
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I hate for this to be my first post, but I don't want to make a mistake. I live in the hills outside of Denver, and I just purchased my first mercedes. A 2004 S500 4Matic 102k miles. I want to put snow tires on it, and I am looking at TireRack for 17" wheels and snow tires. However, the person at TireRack is positive I have the sports package since I have factory 18" wheels (option code 646). I don't think I have the "Sports Package" or "Appearance Package". Is there any way for me to tell if 17" wheels will clear the brakes? From the searching I have done, it appears to me that even those packages should fit 17" wheels, but the EPCNet does have different part numbers for rotors that have the option code 774 and 782 which I think is the "Sport Package".

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers,

G.

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
Hello All,

I hate for this to be my first post, but I don't want to make a mistake. I live in the hills outside of Denver, and I just purchased my first mercedes. A 2004 S500 4Matic 102k miles. I want to put snow tires on it, and I am looking at TireRack for 17" wheels and snow tires. However, the person at TireRack is positive I have the sports package since I have factory 18" wheels (option code 646). I don't think I have the "Sports Package" or "Appearance Package". Is there any way for me to tell if 17" wheels will clear the brakes? From the searching I have done, it appears to me that even those packages should fit 17" wheels, but the EPCNet does have different part numbers for rotors that have the option code 774 and 782 which I think is the "Sport Package".

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers,

G.
I have a 2003 S430 4matic non sport and I have 17" wheels on it. I dont see why they would not fit. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information! It looks like 17" should fit no problem and that my car just has 18" as an option when ordered. :)

Cheers to all.

G.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have 17" snow tires, they are not low profile type. I dont think it's. Good idea to have a larger wheel with thinner tires in the snow. I drove over 6 inches of snow this year no problem!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered the 17" wheels from TireRack this morning. Will update the thread when I get them installed. Go Blizzack LM70! Now if we actually get snow in Denver, I will be able to test them out.

G.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the wheels fit. The front caliper clearance is a little bit less than one inch. I went with the Michelin X Ice XI2. So far a great tire. Now if I could only get some serious snow, I could really test them out.

G.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Oh, don't worry. You'll have plenty of snow. And ice. I hope you ordered studded snow tires. The downhill grade on I-70 into Denver from the mountains where you are is fun in the winter. Needless to say the area around the Eisenhower Tunnel can provide some challenges.

If that's not enough of a challenge, try I-20 between Colorado Springs and Denver, especially the stretch north bound from the Air Force Academy/Black Forest to Monument. I drove it every day back and forth going to law school. I really appreciated my Audi 5000S Turbo Quattro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts