Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're shut down at work (auto OE supplier) I have extra time to get the work on the 85 TD done.
I spent part of the morning cutting out the old windshield, it definitely would have been easier if I had just started by cutting the rubber round the glass first and getting that out of the way which was how I finally did it. Of course the rest of the rubber gasket was still a bit of a pain with all of the urethane adhesive gluing it to the car,Mercedes really must have wanted it to stay put.
Once that was out of the way I inspected the rust damage to the frame, it was all I expected on the right side plus some on the left side. The left side corrosion wasn't too bad so I ground it down and hit it with rust converter. The right side I started to clean up some but got distracted with trying to remove the hardened urethane from the rest of the frame by first scraping and the hitting it with acetone on clean rags, it seems to work but slow.
Some pics


As you see above the right side is bad but the left isn't as bad as it looks.

The left cleaned up decently and is being left to soak with rust converter.

And this is how the rest of the frame is cleaning up. At this point I decided to call it quits for the day and grab some dinner. I wrapped the car up since we're supposed to get rain for the next day or so but I'll add more as I get along.
 

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Welding is done, now to wait for a bit warmer of a day so i can smooth out the work, prime and paint.


Of course I had to have an oopsie, I wound up wrecking the passenger door card & pocket while I was trying to cover everything to protect it from spatter. So now I'm in search of a replacement.
 

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another day
Turned out to be another nice day so I got the windshield frame smoothed and a couple coats of primer on both sides, if it's nice again tomorrow I'll get the wet sanding done and see if I can't get a few coats of colour on it.
A couple nice things about the repaired area, it's small and bordered by the fender, hood and a center panel so just a mask off and no blending, I just have to get the tint right but that's not hard. Also I only need to break out my detail gun to do the paint.
On to pics

On the inside I didn't worry about grinding the welds to much since it'll be hidden but there won't be any more leakage.

Ignore the run it'll be sanded and prime a couple more times before paint.
That was it for today's work on the wagon but I did replace the drivers interior door handle on the 81 300 SD, it's nice that these are still available new from Mercedes.
 

·
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
Joined
·
17,873 Posts
Not trying to be a wet blanket, but left A pillar rot should be cut out. The rust converters don’t work well over time, especially in areas prone to staying moist.

Any repair in windshield frames should get a thin layer of Duraglas or equivalent before priming to combat it happening again. Duraglas is 100% waterproof unlike other body fillers that go soft and fall off.
 

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The weather got a little damp so I had to wait a couple day to finish cleaning and prepping both areas but I finally finished and got some paint on Now to start putting it all back together.

 

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sent yesterday cleaning the windshield trim and fitting it and the gasket to the glass then today was spent installing first the new dash and then the windshield. I took my time and spent around an hour installing the windshield lots of soapy water and occasionally stopping to check how everything was lining up , it all went fairly smooth. The rest of the day has been spent cleaning up and putting the components in to the dash.

I still have to re-cover the header panel before I can finish, the glue let go and the original MB tex has shrunk.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top