Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have searched and searched and searched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need this question answered with a yes or no answer.

I have a 2000 W220 S500L. It has the old type comand system in it. Its giving me problems so I'm thinking of buying a newer, widescreen style comand unit. WILL THIS WORK? I mean a CD based widescreen unit, like on the facelift 2003 model.

If anyone knows where I can get hold of one, please send me the link-I'm in the UK though.

Thank you everyone:thumbsup:

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Thus has been discussed a lot, but not recently.

You can install the wide screen COMAND MOPF, which is still has a CD-based nav unit, from the 2003 model year. Because the fiber optics system changed in model year 'o4, you cannot use an '04 or newer COMAND. You will probably also have to add an Audio Gateway.

A superb source of these units is Steve Krabbenborg, MBenzNL - Home. Go to his site, send him an e-mail. His sister, BigSis, may answer - she is very knowledgeable.

There is also a wonderful resource site on COMAND at Mercedes Electronics upgrades, installation and retrofits - right in the U.K.

There is excell

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a simple plug n play install or does new wiring have to be installed?

DOes anyone know where I can get second hand cables for a good price?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
The answers to your questions are in the Mercedes Electronics Upgrades link provided.

There is also a U.K. installer referenced there.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Steve (MBenzNL) tried to retrofit the 16/9 widescreen comand in pre 2003 S-classes in the past, but couldn't get it to function properly. There was something with the speed pulse he couldn't get to work, and there was one other thing (I forgot, sorry) that he had issues with. And due to a severe lack of time he never got the chance to look into this matter to get it solved... unfortunately.

I do remember receiving an email from someone in Scandinavia who wanted to do a similar upgrade. He was able to get his 16/9 comand to function in his pre 2003 S-class. A Swedish company helped him with the retrofit. I believe the company name was CKM Car Design.

Also, besides the 16/9 comand, you would also need a different wood panel - please be aware of that!

greetingz,

BigSis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, I have searched and searched and searched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need this question answered with a yes or no answer.

I have a 2000 W220 S500L. It has the old type comand system in it. Its giving me problems so I'm thinking of buying a newer, widescreen style comand unit. WILL THIS WORK? I mean a CD based widescreen unit, like on the facelift 2003 model.

If anyone knows where I can get hold of one, please send me the link-I'm in the UK though.

Thank you everyone:thumbsup:
hi
did you manage to get the widescreen in your car ? i was wanting to do the same to a2001 s class

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
SCLASS1
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing