Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
People in Japan in the early 90's had so much money, its not strange to find all sorts of weired and rare cars from that period.

·
Registered
682 Posts
thats nice, really nice, how much?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Neat car. Sounds similar to the Lotec 300CE that Car & Driver tested back in 1988... the comparison test is on my website at this URL, scroll down to the "Big Boys" links. C&D's version claimed 340hp though, not 382hp. Specs are on page 5, performance data is on page 8.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Those wheels are too wide. The sidewalls of the tires are really stretched. Hard cornering could cause the bead of the tire to separate from the rim. IMHO the car needs 3 pc. AMG wheels.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Those wheels are too wide. The sidewalls of the tires are really stretched. Hard cornering could cause the bead of the tire to separate from the rim. IMHO the car needs 3 pc. AMG wheels.
Yeah, I don't know why the "stretched tire" thing became popular... it looks ridiculous, has zero performance benefit, and it's dangerous as well.

On the Lotec, IMO, the rear wheel is too wide (tire size is ok)... the front as the opposite problem, the wheel is ok, the tire is too small! It's a mis-matched setup, period... 295 rear with 235 fronts makes no sense. Should be more like 295 rear with 255 or 265 fronts. If those front fenders really are "wide body" fenders, they should be able to easily fit 255 or 265 tires on a wheel with the proper offset, since those will fit stock 500E fenders.

Interestingly, the Car & Driver Lotec was not a widebody... it only had 205-55-15 front tires and 225-50-16 rear tires.

:sawzall:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I would also question the reasoning (sanity?) for putting 19" wheels on a car with a suspension that was never designed to absorb that much road input. These cars could realistically only handle up to 17" without seriously compromising ride safety and quality. Modern suspensions are softer to handle the rough ride generated by wheels with very little sidewall. Big wheels and fat tires with almost no sidewall might work on a smooth race track. But real world roads are a different story. You could hit a pothole, blow out a sidewall and destroy the wheel before you could get it stopped if you don't lose control first.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I agree 100%. The largest wheels fitted to any 124 chassis from the factory were 17" diameter (on AMG models only, btw). My opinion is that 18" is about the limit on a 124, for the reasons you describe above.

Newer cars not only have the suspension designed for larger diameter wheels, they also have larger diameter tires to match (which replaces some of the lost sidewall height - no black rubber bands)... and larger fender openings, so the big wheels look "correct". When people install big wheels and tires with no sidewalls in a small fender opening, it just doesn't look right - IMO.

:surrender:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts