Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a serious question, I'm not trying to cause any huge debates. I just want to know what you experts consider valid reasons to pick a Mercedes over a BMW.<br> <br> I'm considering the C320 for my wife, and I'd wind up driving it a lot too, as she doesn't want a full size car like the E class. Now, I love the look of Mercedes but it bugs the crap out of me that they are owned by Daimler Chrysler. I used to be a valet and probably 80% of the cars we had problems with were Chrysler, and that was a lot of 'new' one's.<br> <br> Anyway, just trying to get some opinions. For example, I chose a Yukon over a Expedition because I thought the Ex had very light and sloppy steering, it didn't feel like you were in full control of the truck. Also, 90% of the throttle is within the first 10% of throttle play on the gas pedal.<br> <br> Also, does anyone know if the C320's are produced in the same factory as Chryslers? I think that would make up my mind for me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If the parent company DC bothers you, I find no reason for you to buy a MB. If you are going to put down 40 Large, buy what you want so that you don't second guess yourself or have 'owner's remorse'.<br> <br> This is a general comment that's not intended to step on your toes. Car companines are globalizing: there is no longer 'domestic' or 'import'. Parts are shared, and manufacturing are subcontracted. MB engines and transmission (I think) will be in the near future Chrysler cars. Sometime you get lucky and get a good car; sometime a lemmon. 'Ship' happens. BTW, I used to have a 1980 Chevy Caprice that had zero defect for 18 years!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is an old saying in real estate that goes, 'Location, Location, Location!' In the car world it is 'Resale, Resale, Resale!' Take a quick glance at your Kelley Blue Book for resale values on a BMW.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike,<br> <br> In my opinion, today I would definitely go for BMW rather than MB. I have had both, and today I own a MB. MB is not what it used to, not anywhere close. I you keep cars for 4 or 5 years, any car will be OK, but if you do like I do, who keeps cars for 10 years, BMW will be the choice today.<br> <br> I would say 10 years ago the choice was a difficult one, not today though.<br> <br> My $.02.<br> <br> Rene

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also Mike,<br> <br> About value, it is true that MB keeps much higher value than BMW as history shows. I will bet that this will start changing very quickly in favor of BMW.<br> <br> Rene

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have both and have had both. Far fewer problems over time with MB. Far less hassle with dealers and service quality with MB. Single data point and worth only that.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BMW = Trendy, yuppie, sporty, etc.<br> MB = Classy, elegant<br> Yukon = Great vehicle!<br> It's just a matter of preferance - both are good choices. As a female, I choose Mercedes because it seems to 'fit' better as far as visibility and comfort.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heheheehh.. Well said Tricia.. Although I just think that MB is all of that, trendy yuppy sporty, and elegant and classy at the same time! MB has it all.. BMW is just for retards that dont know any better ;)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don´t know about USA, but wher I come from every other guy in my age (low 30´s) who has a some interest in cars, and a few extra bucks to spend on a nice vehicle buys a BMW. I have at least 5 friends who drives BMW 3-series, not a single one driving a Mercedes. This makes me, as a MB driver, different from my friends. At least for me that is a possitive thing since I have no problem with the fact that average age of my fellow MB drivers probably is close to double mine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not always true

I've been looking for a '98-99 C43 and am finding them to be cheaper ($26-29K) than a '98-99 M3 ($30-33K) and the MB listed for $54K while the BMW listed for $42K.<br> Same yr, miles, condition - go figure!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 3 500 series BMW's. I need 3 due to the cycling in and out my mechanics garage for stupid component failures. My '90 420SEL has not even burped in all this time. Perhaps here in the US we get all the BMW lemmons

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Although I ended up purchasing a CL230, the BMW 325 Ci was my first choice for a long time.<br>
<br>
Short opinion: If you and your wife would like the ultimate driving machine, get the Bimmer. If you two would like a balance between luxury, creature comforts, amenties and performance, get an MB.<br>
<br>
Long opinion:<br>
<br>
The choice usually comes down to how your priorities are weighted. With Bimmer, you're getting a straight forward driving machine with few frills, and it's pretty much the best you're going to get. They've put all their time and money into the driving experience for the driver.<br>
<br>
MB seems to be the middle road between driving performance and amenities. The new CL has lots of toys and features that are not available on the 3 series. But the 3 has a crispness of steering, spring and damping of suspension, and no mistake manual transmission that you're not quite going to get on the Mercedes.<br>
<br>
But I'd guess that you're wife wouldn't notice the fine nuances between a BMW and Mercedes of similar class.<br>
<br>
The 3 series is old enough and common enough, that it doesn't turn heads (except my head, especially Ci's). The new CL with sport package, turns heads, left and right, but I'm sure at least some are thinking how the ass end is a little strange.<br>
<br>
The Panorama roof, is amazing. Although I don't get to enjoy the views much while driving, it is gigantic, lending an air of spaciousness that make normal sunroofs feel like a mail slot. The entire roof being glass lets in enormous amounts of light (with shades opened). <br>
<br>
The trunk with cargo nets installed, is very useful with super easy ingress and egress of cargo because of the hatchback opening.<br>
<br>
The rain sensor is a neat and cheap option. If you live in a coastal environment where smattering of rain is common, this is super handy. You could leave your wipers on 'auto' all the time, and they will only wipe when rain is hitting your windshield.<br>
<br>
Automatic inside lighting and headlamps. Drive through a tunnel, interior/exterior lights automatically come one. Exit the tunnel, they turn off. And even the stock light bulbs (OSRAM and Philips) are incredibly bright for a non-Xenon system. The high beams will give you plenty of room to comfortably drive 100 - 110 mph in pitch darkness on well maintained roads.<br>
<br>
The instrumentation LCD display controls many functions and represents plenty of information. Trip odometer, mileage calculator, stereo controls, digital speed, engine temp, outside temp, time, customizeable presets (interior/exterior convenience lighting, auto-locking, imperial/metric presentation, etc).<br>
<br>
Glove-box mounted 6 disc changer is much handier than trunk mounted. Factory deck has no troubles reading burnt cd-r's.<br>
<br>
Auto-dimming mirros, with integrated garage door controls on rear-view are very handy.<br>
<br>
Maybe a non-issue, but rear leg room seems slightly better than the 3 series, according to friends (I've never sat the back).<br>
<br>
Ultra secure key. Starter key is purely electronic working as transponder, with code switching on every use. You simply stick the blunt end of the 'smart key' into the slot near the steering column. Locks are radio frequency, again code switched, per use. There is a mechanical key hidden inside the key, in case you run out of batteries and need to open doors, or want to lock glove box (when using valet). This hidden metal key is useless in starting the car.<br>
<br>
Side view mounted turn signals (in addition to corner lights) make it impossible for someone to not know where you are turning, unless they are legally blind or insanely stupid.<br>
<br>
Brake assist (applies max brake pressure in emergency conditions) helped me once from T-boning a friendly senior who decided red and green meant the same thing in an intersection.<br>
<br>
Throttle response is tamer than on a 3, making starts pretty calm with the manual. I do wish there was a sport mode, which would make launches quicker and general acceleration more twitchy. I'm sure most wouldn't need this, or ever use it; just my personal preference.<br>
<br>
Steering seems moderately heavy (probably the way Bimmer used to have their 3's, and what they are returning to after many complaints of it being too light), yet is not heavy at all when parking. But, care must be used as the road feel is very sensitive (at least with the C7/Evolution wheels & tires). If the pavement is heavily worn, the steering will pull very hard going in and coming out of the grooves. You cannot let go of the wheel, ever.<br>
<br>
Well, that's my 3 and half cents for now. Email me directly without the nospam if you have more direct questions.<br>
<br>
Ben

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts