Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having some exhaust work dont on the G and noticed it has no rear sway bar. Is mine the only one like this?

If no then why dont they have one and can we get one. No wonder im all over the road when i have a trailer and car behind it...

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
4x4rancher - 4/13/2005 2:01 PM

What is a sway bar? you use different terminology than we English do.
I believe you call them stabilizer bars...

ORC sells a kit for the G rear axle.

·
Registered
240GD ex mil
41 Posts
I dont have one on my 82 either. Only in front. This was common on vehicles earlier. I had a 78 volvo 240 once it only had this in the front. You could buy a rear one as an option. On a terrain vehicle like a G it makes sense as it prevents flex.

Torfinn

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Kerr,

If your G500 is all over the road with a trailer, you are doing something wrong. I trailer 7000+ on a regular basis and the combo is as stable as an ocean liner. In addition ESP counteracts any fishtailing cuased by the trailer.

The anti sway bar in the rear will not help you with a trailer at all. It is intended for G that carry a high load in the back driving high speeds on curvy roads.
For off-road use in combination with soft springs a rear stabilizer is helping to keep the vehicle from rolling over.
But the G does not really have long soft springs and is not prone to roll overs. Different story on LandRover products. Their soft tall springs makes them roll over easily. The web has countless examples.

As a reminder to all who believe that disconnecting the sway bar(s) gives you more flex for off-road. True, it gives you more flex but it gives you more chanches to roll over as well.

Finally, rear stabilizers have been available for all G series from the start - just order them and Graz will install them when your G is built. Or have them installed later if you so desire.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
OK Anti roll bars, G s front anti roll acts more as anti nose dive in braking they dont need them at the rear, the Panhrd rod is sufficient I remove the front one too when I go off road they limit axle travel, I compensate by stiffening up the shocks and I use shocks with internal check mechanism to prevent bottoming out and damage. It seems to have worked well for 25 years.
If youve got problems when towing I sould
A: check your trailer loading.
B: check your dampers

Nice rig Harald I'm impressed.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
The panhard rod does nothing to prevent body movement. Its duty is to locate the axle according to geometry.

And yes, I had my front anti sway bar disconnected on all my 460 Gs as well since the G does not display much body roll anyway.
Shocks don't reduce body roll (lean) much (not even the stiff Bilsteins) because they are all soft when extending - but he stiff compression side helps. Remember, when the body wants to lean, the down side compresses and the up side side extends.
Stiffer springs (white, red etc.) reduce body roll pretty well.

Harald

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Many ways of skinning cats Harald I will try your set up too.
I weasn't implying that a panhard rod prevented rolling, but its efficiency on a G due to its physical dimensions and design was superior to that of other lesser vehicles
Should have mentioned my purple springs and Koni Raid shocks combination, I never use Bilsteins, just a matter of taste.
But like you say a G doesnt roll much any way.

Attachments

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
I think we are overthinking this -

My guess is that your trailer isn't properly balanced. 10% of the weight should be on the ball (if I recall correctly). I bet you are tail heavy with too much weight aft of the trailer axle.

Also, with your Toyota Supra on the trailer how is it strapped down? You may have better luck if the car isn't allowed to bounce on the suspension. Strap to the frame and racket it down to compress the springs.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
the heavy duty full floater axle in the ORC image plus the huge protected gas tank indicate that the vehicle is intended for some serious use - thus the anti sway bar makes sense.
The Canadian military G show a very similar setup - HD axles and rear anti sway bar.
HD axles are easily spotted by the huge drums, the studs and the grease cap.
All armored G (remember the white G with double doors) are outfitted with the same axle.

Attachments

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info.

I have trailer the same type of car on different trailers and get the same results with both ball mounts (cant think of the mame) short one where the tire carrier has to be moved and the long one that clears the carrier on both trailers.. same deal about 55 mph + it gets real scarry.

after reading you post we where talking about this last night when i uninstalled my hids and brad noticed that the new tires (about 6 months old) are load rating E and should have 80psi. Mine had 45 which could cause the wonder im guessing. Brad seem to think that with them being underinflated with a E ratting would let the time "roll" when the weight would be transfered. So i guess ill have to wait and try it again now that i have the correct tire pressure.

What are your thoughts on this..

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Kerr,

if your trailer starts swaying at 55 mph your load is not distributed properly. I had that happen to me one - and you are right, it is scary. I stopped, moved the truck on the trailer forward 2 inches and after that the combo drove like a dream. Forward or backwards depends on how the load sits on your trailer. You may have to experiment. I was just lucky with my guess.
(I should be careful with using luck : "Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." RW Emerson)

45 psi on your tires sound already too much. What size do you have exactly?
If you read (undertsnad) the tire lable correctly (stock G500 tires) it will say: "Max load 2337 lb at 44 psi" - that is per tire. So, at 44 psi your vehicle can weigh 9348 lb (4x2337). Since your G weighs much less, even carrying the tongue weight, your pressure should be slightly above 32 psi.
With larger tires (more volume of air), and I believe your tires were larger, you can run them with less pressure. I do that with all my vehicles. With my 35' tires I run only 25 psi.

80 psi will create a very small contact patch between tire and ground. Smaller contact patch = less traction = less traction = less stability. Bad idea! Tell your friend to not only read the tire lable, but also understand what it is saying.

Harald

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
4x4abc - 4/14/2005 1:06 PM

Kerr,

if your trailer starts swaying at 55 mph your load is not distributed properly. I had that happen to me one - and you are right, it is scary. I stopped, moved the truck on the trailer forward 2 inches and after that the combo drove like a dream. Forward or backwards depends on how the load sits on your trailer.
Harald
Exactly what I was trying to convey - but much clearer.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are probably correct in that i need to move it more on the trailer, as for the air pressure you can tell a big diff in it alreay on the way it wonders and drives on the free way with out a trailer. I think this could have been the problem, but i dont know why a good year tire store would put he wrong pressure in the tire.

This is what i have 275-65-18

Tire Size: 275-65-18
Load Range: E
Service Description:123S
Sidewall:OWL
Approved Rim Width: 7.5- 9.0
Meas. Rim Width:8
Section Width:11
O.D.: 32
Max.Load: 3,415 @ 80

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,978 Posts
4x4abc - 4/14/2005 2:06 PM

45 psi on your tires sound already too much. What size do you have exactly?
If you read (undertsnad) the tire lable correctly (stock G500 tires) it will say: "Max load 2337 lb at 44 psi" - that is per tire. So, at 44 psi your vehicle can weigh 9348 lb (4x2337). Since your G weighs much less, even carrying the tongue weight, your pressure should be slightly above 32 psi.
Harald,

I can't speak for the 2002+ G500's, but the tire placard on the gas filler door in mine (2000) calls for 32 front and 43 rear with a fully loaded truck.

When I pull my kamper, it has a tongue weight of around 300+ lbs and the 43 psig rear tire pressure pulls like a dream - even at 75+ mph - not the first sign of sway. Even in high NM, AZ and UT Interstate highway crosswinds, it rides like a vault on a railroad track.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,978 Posts
Kerr - 4/14/2005 3:11 PM

i dont know why a good year tire store would put he wrong pressure in the tire.
Minimum wage employees?

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Dutch,

yes, I have the same sticker in my gas tank door. If you are indeed fully loaded, 43 psi is a good number.
However, with just me piloting, no passengers, no cargo but the tongue weight figured in (7% of 7000 lbs = 490 lb) I am at about 1/2 of max load and run therefor 36 psi.

In Kerr's place (7% of 5000 lb = 350 lb) with larger tires I would run exacly 32 psi. But of course you would have to move your load until the correct tongue weight (check with a bathroom scale) is reached. I have a marker on my trailer to indicate the correct front wheel position. Makes loading quick and easy.

Recommended tongue load for light camper trailers is 10 - 15% of the trailer weight - heavy boat or car trailers should have a 5 - 8% tongue weight.

Harald

1 - 17 of 17 Posts