Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just MB and Audi, any body know?

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MarcusF said:
BMW refuses to join because they feel the international presence isn't great enough. This has been the case since it was restarted in 2000.
Thanks Marcus,

I am currently in Latin America and the satellite TV here covers all the DTM races. I am quite surprised at all the interest.

·
Registered
1986 S124 230TE
69 Posts
it would be nice if bmw joined the DTM series. the races would be definetly be a lot more exciting. also, bmw has always been the traditional rival of Mercedes whether in the show room or race track.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,354 Posts
Yacht Master said:
One of the problems might be the naming of the series.
The D in DTM stands for Deutsche (German), i.e. since 2000 = Deutche Tourenwagen Masters, or Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft (1984-96).
The latter translates to 'German Touring Car Championship.'
They might have to lose the 'D', to turn it into an international series.

On the other hand, there is NASCAR, where the NA stands for National, hmmm?

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
Teutone said:
On the other hand, there is NASCAR, where the NA stands for National, hmmm?
Ok I always thought NASCAR was for North American Stock CAR.

You learn something every day!

·
Registered
2003 S430 Sport Edition
1,326 Posts
I've been watching DTM since the early eighties when the Venezuelean Johnny Cecotto (BMW) goes head to head with Klaus Luwig (MB). Now it's Audi and Mercedes Benz in DTM.

BMW joined FIA World Touring Championships with Seat - Chevrolet and Alfa Romeo. BMW leads the manufacturing standings followed by Seat.

Eddie

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,354 Posts
A&L's300SL said:
Ok I always thought NASCAR was for North American Stock CAR.

You learn something every day!
NASCAR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) is the largest sanctioning body of motorsports in the United States. The three largest racing ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR

I had to look it up too. Cheers

·
Registered
2004 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 C240 Wagon
39 Posts
In the current BIMMER magazine, the head of BMW Motorsport says BMW is supporting no factiory teams this year in any series (except F1), as they re-evaluate where to spend the $ -- my interpretation of the article was that the money may go to the M division instead of racing. They are also likely spending a lot more in F1 now that the team is theirs (they are doing much better this year).

This is pure speculation on my part, but the fact that AMG is selling very well (my impression -- they are everywhere in Atlanta) and seems to be keen on challenging the M cars handling advantage (w. Black Series), BMW may be thinking they need to invest in the M Division -- they used to have 2 M cars, now they have what, 5 or 6? (M3, M5, M6 coupe, M6 conv. Z4 M coupe and conv., ??). BMW is making money hand over fist, but new cars are still wildly expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ATL_MB said:
This is pure speculation on my part, but the fact that AMG is selling very well (my impression -- they are everywhere in Atlanta) and seems to be keen on challenging the M cars handling advantage (w. Black Series), BMW may be thinking they need to invest in the M Division -- they used to have 2 M cars, now they have what, 5 or 6? (M3, M5, M6 coupe, M6 conv. Z4 M coupe and conv., ??). BMW is making money hand over fist, but new cars are still wildly expensive.
BMW is not the only manufacturer to expand their performance or aftermarket division. It all comes down to profit. Why let an aftermarket tuner make all the money when they can try to grab a piece of the profits themselves. In this ever competitive industry, any profits is better than no profits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yacht Master said:
GM through it's Opel division last raced from '00-'05. They pulled out due to their lack of competitiveness and the company's financial troubles.

BMW did previously race in the DTM in the 80s, along with Ford and Volvo! The predecessor to DTM was Group A. They left the series after MB managed to block BMW's effort to convert the series to V8 instead of the V6 if I recall correctly.

BMW then moved to supporting touring cars where they've been an active supporter ever since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts