Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Autobahn breeds great cars. To run on the Autobahn a vehicle must be able to hold up and handle well at high speeds for extended periods, day after day, week after week. They must also be able to endure frequent starts and stops and extended time at idle! When things go wrong on the Autobahn, they go wrong. You don't get a second chance very often at 260kmh!

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Talking about autobahn, I had an

Talking about autobahn, I had an "interesting" experience last time I was in Germany. I was cruising at around 170 km/h = 105 mph in my E430. When alone I usually drive 200+ km/h when traffic allows, but this time I had my family in the car. There wasn´t harldy any traffic (quite unusual for autobahn) but I still stayed in the middle lane (out of 3) to avoid having to change lanes for overtaking occational trucks or slower cars.

Then I see this Porsche in the mirror closing up quickly. I was just about to change to the right lane when I see a second car in the ringht hand side mirror. A couple of seconds later, two 911´s pass me - one on the left and one on the right - going at what I think was at least 280 km/h!

Must have been a similar feeling as for the driver (I don´t remeber who, I think it was an Arrows) on Spa last year who at the same time got laped by Schumacher to the left, and Häkkinen (who at the same time overtook Schumi) to the right.

So, the lesson out of this story; next time you go to germany on the autobahn, stay in the right lane when not overtaking, and check your mirrors!

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
BTW, I like your "mods" [;)]
Is the cargo net AMG or Brabus?

BTW, I like your "mods" [;)]
Is the cargo net AMG or Brabus?

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
And the winter floormatts, were they also installed by your dealer?

What´s the thickes...

And the winter floormatts, were they also installed by your dealer?

What´s the thickest matts you can go for in an M-class, keeping enough clearence to the pedals?

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
I also allways try to stick to Mercedes original aftermarket parts and accessoris. The onl...

I also allways try to stick to Mercedes original parts. The only area where I am little disapointed is the sound-system accessories. The only original Mercedes CD I have found until now is the instruction CD for the "Sprachbediensystem" (voice control) but after six months I am really fed up listening to the same instructions and explanations over and over again... Will I void the Mercedes warranty if I install a Guns & Roses CD in one of the six slots in the changer?

·
Registered
SLK 32 AMG
205 Posts
Old saying: Whatch your back - there is always someone quicker than you!!!

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Very true. Unless of course you drive a...

... Bugatti EB 16-4 Veyron!

406 km/h (=252 mph) top speed, 0 - 300 km/h (186 mph) in less than 14 seconds, 1001 hp and 1,250 newton-meters(922 lb-ft) of torque...

Imagine passing a 911 Turbo or similar going 300 km/h om autobahn, yourself doing an additional 100 km/h... [:)]

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
well, maybe you are not safe in a Bugatti after all...

These guys (Swedish of course [:)]) claim they have measured this Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo doing 439,06 km/h (273 mph)...
http://www.swt-racing.com/hayabusaturbo.html

Wheelie-record is 323,89 km/h (=201 mph). Would also be kind of cool to pass a 300km/h 911 Turbo on the back-wheel! [:D]

·
Registered
SLK 32 AMG
205 Posts
Exaktly my point - there are always some odd-ball, which has supertuned...

his car/vehicle.

I remember the so caleed 'professorn' in Stockholm who managed to build in a V8 in an old VW beetle and killed basically all cars in street-races!

There is basically not a car that is the best in everything and one day will that car loose due to its weak point!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts