Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420 sel
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why is mercedes making a computer cars rather than a good reliable cars that they are known for

i wonder why

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
RE: why is mercedes making a computer cars rather than a good reliable cars that they are known for

Most people like gizmos and technology.

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
RE: why is mercedes making a computer cars rather than a good reliable cars that they are known for

its a multitude of reasons.

the competition does: to stay in the market, they have to.

its what people demand; if they make a w126 with a modern design, they'll just be selling a crown victoria, people will buy the ford for 1/3 the price.

the last reason i can think of is the same reason that apple cant make a g5 powerbook. with the g4, apple set many standards(it is VERY small) and now cant make a bigger computer because people will feel cheated. it is exactly the same with MB ; theyve built the computer car already and if they take the selectable ride, integrated phones, distronic, parktronic climatronic whatevertronic out, people will feel cheated, or will complain about a lack of luxury.

i think any car that does what it is designed to do(roll under its own power) is an extreme luxury. any car that does this for its owner is admirable.

any car that does this surrounding its owner in soft leather(ette) trim, genuine wood trim with (real) chrome accents and adds upon these things with generous ammounts of muscular, thick sheetmetal also trimmed in (real)chrome and other high quality ornamaloo type things is extraordinarily so.

my mercedes is the bottom line model with only an automatic as optional equipment. i even have to turn knobs to get air into the cabin(heaven forbid!)

to close-- people think technology *is* luxury now, you can buy a neon(as i have) or any other car for that matter and get a fine built car with all the same options as a(n) (early) w123/126 and it will be reliable as well. people just want computer cars, they dont care about quality or craftsmanship when they are, for the most part, leasing these automobiles. ownership isnt what it used to be, neither are automobiles.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

Because they chose to long ago. If you are American you won't understand but if you are German you would. In the US Mercedes chose to position itself as a luxury leader only, while in Germany they sell cars like General Motors. That's why Euro W126's could be had with roll up windows, no climate, no Hydropneumatic, no leather, steel wheels etc. etc. You could order the car (imagine this concept if you possibly can) exactly as you wanted it. So in the US where the cars had to be "Elegance" model only, customers soon started saying - well if it doesn't have climate it isn't a Mercedes, and if it doesn't have leather it isn't a Mercedes yadda yadda yadda. Mercedes loved this because it could charge higher margins but this yuppie-ish gotta have everything unexpectedly put them head to head with the Japanese gadget makers, who by the way, are far more better at it. So now instead of being known for really well built and safe cars, not too high priced they are outside the reach of the average German consumer (In Germany many Taxis are E-Klasse models) and therefore are the premier choice for safely cruising the autobahn at 125MPH, instead they are now known in the US for extremely complicated cars riddled with problems. The worst being the horribly expensive to maintain S600. Which is why you can buy a used S600 for less than a S500. Years ago one of my German cousins switched to a 190E after she was in a bad wreck with her old car. She did it not because the Mercedes had yuppie gadgets (it didn't it was a stripper) and even at that she said it was a bit "teuer" she said she did it because she felt safe in the 190E. Sounds like she bought a Volvo doesn't it? Although Mercedes had abandoned this market in the US they have also had second thoughts on this. They saw just like Cadillac that their clientelle was aging at an alarming rate. This is why they came out with the C230 coupe and the M series. Unfortunately they have also "loaded them up" so they are still not "praktish". Well Shremp turned Chrysler around now it's Mercedes turn.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts

The computers don't work everything.. Computer controled cars are more effesent, The computer can make millions of changes in engine control, and now transmition control.. The suspention can/is computer controled for smoother rides.. It's about keeping up with technalogy... The computers of today make these cars run better, drive better, ride better.. All the bells an wistles are still controled by US ( more or less )..

The car maufacturers are now using fiberoptics in the window switches and any number of other doodads, making the computer nessasary.. But making wire harnesses MUCH MUCH smaller, as well as MUCH MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE [xx(]...

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
I actually wish I could order a modern MBZ without nav and a few other options I have no use for. It would be great if we could special order a base vehicle and add only what you need, but I do understand Mercedes' interest in maintaining their "high end" image in the US.

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Das Kapital

"... put them head to head with the Japanese gadget makers, who by the way, are far more better at it."
That's it precisely - combined with the effects of Moore's Law. If the cost of gee-gaw technology features drop exponentially - while the price of (quality) raw materials & labor only rises, guess what 'they' will try to push/sell.

Another facet was the (Daimler) attempt to lower cost-of-entry, in a bid for expanded market share. They diluted the marque, but at the same time car 'drivers' further morphed into just 'consumers'... as in buy it, throw it away, buy another.

That WAS the economy, STUPID? :confused:

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
I would like a plain 280SE or 300SE, or in today's parlance, an S280 or S300. I have a Crown Vic and it's no MB. Reliable yes, 200K miles yes. The seats suck though.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,742 Posts
During my recent 3 weeks at my Mothers house near Hannover, I saw only two W126, a 300 turbo diesel, and a 420SEL.
There were a few W124 200E's, as well as W201 190E with 2 liter engines, and steel wheels with hub caps. Even people with $ drive a SMART or similar sized little car to zip around in, but may have another larger up market car for long distance travel. 8 cylinder cars seem to be getting rare over there.
Cost of gas was around $ 6.50 a gallon (converted from 1.3-1.4 Euro L), tax and license fees are quite high.
The public transportation system, and the high speed ICE trains are hard to beat even driving one of today's super cars, and the train will get you City center to City center.
The German Autobahn usually passes the periphery of a City, and not through the center as found in the U.S.
On certain distances the ICE trains should actually be quicker than flying, if you consider getting to and from the airport, checking in, security, getting you luggage etc.
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts