Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Mercedes-Benz 300D(non-turbo)
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately here in SE Virginia its been chilly(20's at night) and when i start my 300D i lightly push the throttle once then rest my foot on it when turning the key. In the cold weather starting threads i have read that you shouldnt let the engine rev on startup.....why? What kind of damage have i done?

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
You want the oil pump to get the oil circulating (and preferably warmed) prior to putting stress on the metal-to-metal components.

·
Registered
1989 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ60, 1985 300D, 1996 12V Cummins Dodge 2500
33 Posts
Those few seconds after your motor starts. Its essentially running with no lube protection for all the moving parts IE crank, rods and all your valve train components. Do that time and time again and you are definitely shortening the life of your motor. If you have a block heater or some type of oil pan warmer that will help the warmed oil circulate much quicker during cold starts.

·
Registered
1977 Mercedes-Benz 300D(non-turbo)
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y'all. I have already changed the way i start her since reading those threads. I was just curious since ive always done the same with my gas vehicles in cold weather.

BTW, POS....Im a CJ loyalist as well. Had an 81'CJ-7 Renegade Laredo with the "Iron Duke" 4cyl. came with a hard top with factory tinted glass and a sunroof! I regret selling that truck every single day of my life! Even with the little 151cid motor, i only got stuck once, cross-rutting, and i put that thing through hell! I want another CJ sooo bad!

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
As indicated by previous posters, the oil is thick when cold and takes a bit of time before it circulates well. You should not rev ANY engine when cold in ANY weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts