Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i posted this same question on the bimmer forum and came up with a really good thread, i've owned both but in my opinion the benz is supierior better build easier to work on generally lower maintance cost

·
Registered
Beige 1999 E320
3 Posts
They're both really great cars. Bimmers are more sporty and MB offers a more comfortable ride. Don't overthink things.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 528i,1999 Lexus 400LS, 2014 e250 BlueTec
635 Posts
MBZ had lot of problems in the past 10 to 5 years but newer models have really improved. I say BMW is behind Benz in terms of quality and repairs with late model cars.

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
I've never owned a BMW. Before I got my first Mercedes I could care less about either one. I never thought I'd own either one. I think the Mercedes are better in terms of design and layout. I love the interior of my w201. I look at the older m3 BMW's and I really dislike the interior layout. I'm an interior guy.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
I owned single BMW what suppose to be brand flagship at the time, but it turned out to be flaglemon. The 12 cylinder engine had $2 cork gasket on oil pan, that would never hold. I got burned with water pump failure, than the car would not pass the smog because "lifetime" spark plugs harness went bad. New one cost $1400.
Great car to drive, if it runs. Just don't park it on my driveway :D

·
Registered
'99 E320 Wagon, ‘71 280SL, '97 SL500, '96 E300D, ’11 E350D
69 Posts
my dad dumped his BMW due to water pump failure as well...

BMW is not a car that was really meant to be reliable or a workhorse.

show me a BMW that has passed 1M Miles, any BMW, and I will eat my hat.

·
Registered
2000 E320 4Matic Sedan
151 Posts
My wife has new 2011 328I convertible. Her previous ride was a a 2008 MB SLK. Both nice cars.
The SLK was great and handled superbly, but she needed the extra seats for business purposes. (And being a pretty big fellow, the SLK was a bit hard for me to get onto and out of with the top closed)
As I insist she have a hard top convertible, the Bimmer was a good choice.
I do like the 328, It is a lot of fun to drive and has lots of cool bells and whistles.
That said, I am still amazed by how nice my old 2000 E320 is to drive. (I know she will "Borrow" it when it snows-4Matic)
I will use our RAM 2500 on those days.
Our E320 is still the choice for long trips.
Best wishes.
Ron y

·
Registered
E420 ('97)
252 Posts
BMW hoods open towards the front, but MB has the single panoramic wiper. tough call.
This comment made me laugh on so many levels! :big laugh:

It's just funny by itself, but it also makes me feel like a complete idiot because now I realize why I was never able to figure out how to open the hood on a BMW they gave me last time I got my MB fixed at the shop...

I was curious to see the engine in that 7 series, but I just gave up!:surrender:

I never knew that.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
I did own about 20 brands in my life and several of them I bought just to explore. The hood opening up front sucks, even it is easy removable. Nothing beats MB hoods that can be locked vertically.
That said our comparison is tainted. We can't drive excellent BMW diesels on this continent.
Just to give you an idea how good engines BMW can make -back in 1960's and 1970's you could buy in US minimotorhomes powered by BMW diesels that gave them over 20 mpg. Those motorhomes are still pampered by owners, remodeled and gain higher prices now, than 40 years ago.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 528i,1999 Lexus 400LS, 2014 e250 BlueTec
635 Posts
If you drive BMW, battery tender is a must and you can't buy any battery and install yourself. You have to have it registered at BMW dealer. What is more, you have to pay over $500 for a battery because of registeration involved.

·
Registered
w210 E320 2001, BMW E34 1991, w124 E300
74 Posts
in term of driving pleasure and look, the bmw is better ( the look of the e 39 is much better than the w210, interior and exterior), adding the bmw are technologically advanced in comparison with mercs.
but if we look to reliability , even during the worst days of mercedes , it still better than Bmw.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
:eek: Whoa!! Please give me details on the Battery??? The BMW doesn't take a standard group battery size? Why is it necessary to register the battery?

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Safety. Take a trip to your local salvage yard and check out the remains of a Mercedes-Benz compared to a BMW.

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
Well, my father, brother, sister and brother-in-law all HAD BMWs.
I have never owned a BMW, but I don't think they are a bad car.
BMW claims they are the "Ultimate Driving Machine" I would say they are
the mid stream driving machine, after owning many Porsches and Mercedes, here
are my thoughts.
Handling-road feel Porsche>BMW>Mercedes
Power-Torque Mercedes>Porsche>BMW
Luxury-comfort Mercedes>BMW>Porsche
In my youth I loved the tight harsh ride and feel of the Porsche, even-though a 500 mile trip would kick my a55 and leave me sore. Now that I am older I enjoy comfort and fatigue free ride of the Mercedes, a 500 mile trip is like floating on a cloud.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts