Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
03 ML350
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally bought a new toy that I've had my had my eye on for a year. It confirmed what my ears were already telling me. The frequency response of the Bose system is pretty good.

The toy is the iAudiointerface for iPod. It includes a calibrated microphone and quality I/O interface.

I took some 1/3 octave response shots using a pink noise CD disk for input and the microphone located at ear level. With the exception of the typical Bose upper bass hump, the overall response is well within +/- 5 dB from 40 to 12kHz.

In ambiance mode is very smooth.

Max treble still can't extend the response out to 20 kHz though. This is probably where many people hear a big difference with aftermarket. I wouldn't mind more extended highs, but many aftermarket car tweeters sound shrill to me.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Interesting app. I'm curious to see how the results for other systems turn out - LS460 Mark Levinson, S-Class harman/kardon, BMW hi-fi system, Toyota JBL, etc.

·
Registered
2005 C350, 2002 ML270CDI, 1969 230S, previously 2002 A160, 1985 380SEC ivory, 1983 380SEC grey
82 Posts
Hi benzML350,
those are quite interesting results. Does the app have a facility for combining several measurements ie can it do a spatial average?
I suspect the hump in the bass is partly a Bose 'signature', partly a matter of practicality, to overcome the masking effect of low frequency road noise. And the roll of at high frequencies is also understandable - the masking effect of road noise, wind noise, etc, would mean that those frequencies would be quite hard to hear. The last response you posted is a typical "boom and tizz" response - sounds impressive on an initial listen, but gets a bit tiring eventually (well, in a quite lounge room environment, anyway :), autos are a different space!).
Thanks for the information, especially since you used the calibrated microphone, etc.
kind regards
David

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Bose home theater systems are overrated and overpriced, brand name aside, the system in the ML sounds great to me.

·
Registered
03 ML350
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... The last response you posted is a typical "boom and tizz" response - sounds impressive on an initial listen, but gets a bit tiring eventually ...
I was just trying to see what the band center is on the treble control. Obviously it's too low to restore some of the high end drop off. I leave all the tone controls flat in normal listening.

The app is part of a suite called iAudioTools put out by the same guy that designed the interface. The basic set has a number of capabilities and you can add other modules you like. Most of them save data to the iPod/iPhone so you can download them and do whatever you like with them. What I posted was just the screen shots. The real time analyzer is part of the basic app as well as speaker delay, signal generator, advanced audio recorder, dual trace oscilloscope, frequency analyzer, and SPL meter. You can add more advance stuff like FFT impulse response, THD measurements.

I definitely saw some response differences as I moved the mike around but it wasn't as drastic as I expected. I saw more location variation in my home speakers as I went off axis or extended out far from the drivers. My home speakers are decent quality old school (KEF and Phase Technology) so I expected good results. When mic'd close at 3 feet, the KEF's plot was almost perfectly flat at +/- 2.5 dB from 80 Hz to 12Khz (they're only small bookshelf monitors so bass is limited). You can definitely see the effect of the room and this will be a great tool to help optimize my speaker locations.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
The Bose bass hump really bugs me. I always have to turn down the bass a bit. To bad we can't just adjust the subwoofer under the driver's seat.

DelJ

..With the exception of the typical Bose upper bass hump, the overall response is well within +/- 5 dB from 40 to 12kHz.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Could you try to level out the bass response and post graphs for a couple of bass reduction settings?

Thanks,

DelJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts