Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 420sel
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may just be my own experience, but any old car I've had with the old style of hood hinges has been extremely durable. This includes my old 70's and 80's GM cars too. This vs. the newer cars that use struts that just don't seem to last as long. Are the struts used nowadays as a cost saver, or is my experience unusual here?

·
Registered
1990 W126 300SE - High Mileage Award
995 Posts
Lucky you! Many find them to be eaisly bent or broken, they weigh more, they are more prone to allowing the wind or other forces to shut the hood while it is being worked under (most people don't have a second, service position, or don't know if they do have one.) For my money, hoods that hinge in the front are the way to go anyway. Some great hoods, as I see it: SAAB 900, Triumph Spitfire, Volvo 1800 series. I've owned all of those cars and find them very easy to work on. The SAAB hood can get in the way, but you can take it off with two small nuts in under a minute using hand tools. Of course, our friends over at General Meatheads put a more conventional hood on the last generation of 900 series cars, becuase they are terrible, terrible people with no souls to speak of. The Spitfire hood is hard to get off for VERY big jobs, but for most things it can stay there. For those who don't know what those look like, here y'all are:

Attachments

·
Registered
'90 300 CE, '91 560 SEC, (R.I.P.) '82 300SD (sold)
1,234 Posts
I agree. The new struts aren't worth sh-t. The ones on my latest Grand Cherokee went after about two years, and its not like I had the hood open all the time. The back ones on the lift gate which does get used a lot are still good.

While they were overall poorly designed and built, I always liked the front hinged hoods on my '68 TR-250, '72 TR-6, and '62 MGA 1600 MkII. I know, I'm a masochist for owning three British roadsters. You'd think Iwould of learned after the first one. ;-)

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
Struts ARE cheaper... they are engineered to fail just after the warranty runs out. Spring steel which will last several years is very expensive, because all the local manufacturing capability is gone... moved to China (wire-drawing).

I also loved that forward-hinged hood on my Saab 900... what a car! It's the only car besides my 560SL I'm sorry I sold.

Dave

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,296 Posts
The ones on my brother's BMW are going on 9 years now and are still strong. I like the struts when they're made well.

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
Yes, yes. There's always a rebuttal. Sorry, Marlin, it was just my opinion and experience.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts