Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1985 280-SL. The body is in almost perfect shape, and mechanically it seems pretty solid (for a 1985 model car). This car was sold to me as a "grey market" car... it was a German model that was imported the US from a private owner in Germany. I understand, therefore, that certain things will be ... different ...

However, what's tripping me up is how many online search services don't even recognize a 1985 280-SL! Just try to find that model in EBay, or on any parts service.
Have I purchased a beautiful boatload of headaches??

Thanks!

Dave

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,153 Posts
It doesn't show up because it was not sold in North America.

Quite a few 280SL owners here. The Mercedes EPC is an absolute necessity for Euro owner. Mercedes charges $75.00 per year but there are free ones. Using it you can look up the part numbers and compare to the US model 380SL. Many times they will be the same on chassis and body. Here are a couple of free sites.

The 2.8L engine was used on some US non R107 models and again the parts can be the same.

Mercedes Dealers can get most parts and there are a few discount MB dealers on line.

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
221 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice ride and in a popular color too..I've owned a 1985 280 SL for 15 years and have so far, never had a problem obtaining parts. They are not necessarily cheap but what parts are? The Euro look - slim bumpers and rectangular headlights are the icing on the cake - I hope you'll find as much enjoyment from your ownership as I have, and by the way, you can chop wood with that engine, in my opinion it's one of the best MB ever produced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the reassuring replies, rowdie and freshairfiend!

I'm really having fun with the car so far... It's got the usual 35 year old car issues (some suspension squeeks, a whine at speed that may be a rear end or U joint issue), but really, outside of stuff that I'd expect for a car of this vintage, it's running great. I get reactions all the time! Just loving it.

One more question (and thanks again) - what's the best shop manual to get? I don't see a Haynes...

Thanks again!

Dave

·
Registered
450 SL 1973 (European engine), W111 280 SE Convertible 1968, 500SE 1982
32 Posts
Hi,

we have the same issue with 560SLs in Germany. Never sold in DE - so spare part shops normally do not list it. Still we have thousands of them reimported to Germany.

Best source for manuals is original MB workshop manual on DVD called information for classic cars. It contains both English and German manuals and wiring diagrams. Or you use startekinfo which misses M110. For English documents on 280 SL engine with KA-Jetronic you can use handbook.w116.org . I haven't seen a freely available documentation on M110 D-Jetronic engine. If anyone knows, please drop me a note. I have to tell you guys that you are much better off than us in Germany. Daimler has published English workshop manuals for free access. But they do not do that for German language.

So it is always tricky with a car that was not meant to be in your country. As we do not have a 560 SL operator's manual in German language, 4 users on Sternzeit-107.de worked hard together to translate, improve and print it. What else should we do with thousands of 560 SLs in Germany?

Your easiest way might be to swap your 280 SL with someone owning a 560 SL in Germany. Back to the roots as one might say. ;)

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,153 Posts
Here is a online version which you can use for chassis, brakes, etc. Click on the 3.8 engine for info. Model 107 Maintenance Manual Index For the engine try to find a M110 engine manual. It covers US versions which are similar.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,336 Posts

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,623 Posts
I just bought a 1985 280-SL. The body is in almost perfect shape, and mechanically it seems pretty solid (for a 1985 model car). This car was sold to me as a "grey market" car... it was a German model that was imported the US from a private owner in Germany. I understand, therefore, that certain things will be ... different ...

However, what's tripping me up is how many online search services don't even recognize a 1985 280-SL! Just try to find that model in EBay, or on any parts service.
Have I purchased a beautiful boatload of headaches??

Thanks!

Dave View attachment 2621931
Are you really a Velocity Pilot? Damn, that's a nice plane.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much to everyone! This is GREAT that it's all online. Fantastic - and thanks to all of you!

To Jyuma - yup, over 1600 hours in my Velocity, another 1000 or so in other canards... BIG fun!

Dave

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,623 Posts
Thanks so much to everyone! This is GREAT that it's all online. Fantastic - and thanks to all of you!

To Jyuma - yup, over 1600 hours in my Velocity, another 1000 or so in other canards... BIG fun!

Dave
I'm an old 150 driver myself... currently building a RV12 is. Flying has always been my first love... joined the CAP at 13, Air Force at 20 and very proud owner of a Cessna 150 at 30. Lost an eye at 36 and been on the ground ever since. Can't wait to get back in the left seat and eLSA makes that possible.

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear from you anytime. (y) EAA 1271477

1 - 11 of 11 Posts